Plan my caravan.

Caravan on site now, we will move in start of September and have maybe 5-6 months over a winter in here maximum. Maybe less if it all goes quicker as we only have inside to do now on house. But nonetheless we will be in there during winter. 

Instead of steps, looking at adding a  decking nit sure if just to make it out of pallets and but lying about and a little rough of I do have a bundle of 8 and 10 x 2 timbers left over by the kit suppliers I can use. I'd just need to get posts for then to build a deck then decking planks. Or should I save my money and do it cheap as chips? 

Also looking at doing a lean to on that deck to get muddy close and wets shoes off which I hear helps. 

Any other good ideas advice? 

Pictures appreciated on good ideas! 

20220620_222453.jpg

50 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Any other good ideas advice? 

As you will be wanting to sell it once you have done with it, anything that makes it look good, and can be packed up inside it i.e. decking, skirt, EWI, cheap A2AHP should add value.

• Like 1

Ours remains as a permanent outbuilding, so I panelled in all around the bottom, I made a deck and some steps to get up to it, and just 1 month of running the gas fire and seeing the appetite it had for LPG, I fitted a small cheap wood burning stove.

The stove might not be such a good idea if you are planning to sell it. Mine is not fixed to the stone hearth it stands on so it might not be in the same place if the van were moved.

As you have the house shell put your washing machine etc in there.

Get the van up on blocks off it's wheels and off the silly little wind up legs that are not man enough for permenant use.

I'm no joiner, I just screwed a lot of wood together as a frame, first layer was pallet boards for the floor followed by OSB and then lino. Walls was more OSB, counter battened and then clad with some cheap fencing. Roof was OSB with some plastic corrugated stuff. Got a free window and door - voila! Also got the spark to put a light and some sockets in there. I had the tall fridge/freezer in there as well as the washing machine & tumble dryer. Was a game changer in making van life tolerable.

20190227_174453.jpg

Edited by LA3222
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Get the van up on blocks off it's wheels and off the silly little wind up legs that are not man enough for permenant use.

It's up in the caravan axle stands that came with it. The wind up legs were completely done when I got it. I've got 8 stands but going to up it to 12 or maybe 16 then tie it down. 

@LA3222 brilliant pics. Exactly what i was looking for. Looks really good. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to start building the deck this weekend. 

I have a bunch of 8 x 2 left over by the kit builders hence, was going to buy 100 x 100 mm posts and then postcrete them in and make a proper deck with the 8x 2.  The deck I am going to run right along the caravan to allow for both doors but only have half of it built over into a porch. I am swithering over what to use for the deck boards, I could buy proper decking boards but seems a waste since this deck is only for 6-9 months, then likely 12 months from now I'll be taking it down. I do have quite a lot of pallets, but can imagine the boards will all be different thickness? maybe just buy sarking boards? or fence boards? anyone any cheap solutions?  

I used pallet then put osb sheet over top followed by some free lino. Whatever you do, don't waste any more money, time and effort than you need to. Worth doing absolutely but it's also temporary and you have bigger fish to fry.

On 25/07/2022 at 20:22, LA3222 said:

Whatever you do, don't waste any more money, time and effort than you need to

I may not have listened...looks great though.  Got some free composite decking that was getting binned, then the main joists I had already just some posts and postcode required really and some sarking for the.other half of the deck. Porch will get built next week. 

20220731_215008.jpg

20220731_214933.jpg

20220731_214956.jpg

Edited by SuperJohnG