Building regs when reducing the size of a window?

Hi All, I’ve just started the process of buying a house where I’d want to change a living room upvc window to reduce the height. Current window is from an era where everyone had net curtains so it didn’t matter that passers by had a full height view into the room.

I want to have the brick+block cavity wall extended upward to match all the other windows in the downstairs and then a new window fitted.

The new window obviously requires building regs and there is an option and cost for that on our local planning portal. But what about extending the cavity upward? It’s not structural as the width of the window isn’t changing, just the non-load bearing bit. Does this require a separate application?

Is this the front elevation of the house? If not I would just crack on. Technically with a front elevation you might but is anyone going to chase you about it 🤷‍♂️ You could always get retrospective planning after it’s done (if you have to). Regarding building regs just get the window fitted by a Fensa fitter then no notification required (and months waiting with costs!!!).

Edited by joe90

Yes, it’s the front elevation. It’s a common mod to quite a few identical houses in the location so there are plenty of precedents. Most brick the opening, a few have block+rendered then painted the render.

If I didn’t need regs to do the wall work then FENSA would be easier. Assuming it can be scheduled with 2 lots of contractors to not leave a gaping hole in the front of the house for weeks on end that is…

Edited by Spreadsheetman

+1 to what @joe90said. 

You don't normally need planning permission as long at the windows are of similar appearance but that's a bit open to interpretation. If you are keeping the same basic style as other windows I would just do it and if the planners kick off submit a retrospective application. 

For Building Control I would find someone to do the brick work and then get a Fensa approved installer to supply and fit as @joe90 said. They should do the paperwork. 

It's safer to get the window co to measure up after the brickwork is done but if the lead time is long you may not want to do that. In which case keep a close eye on the bricklayers make sure they are aware they need to get close to a specific height. Design it to ensure it's a whole number of bricks/blocks courses. Mark the wall with a line etc. 

Usually windows are made a few mm smaller than the opening. When you order make sure you check if they want the dimensions of the opening or the actual window. Sorry if you know all this.

• Like 1

Fab, thanks. There is an adjacent window that the level would need to mirror so that should be easy to specify. I’d be going for an exact match to the top section of the existing window in format, openings and appearance.

Is there usually anything on top of the brick/block work apart from a cavity closer? (House was built in 1977 with 65mm cavity fill insulation)