Velux vent flap / handle problems

My first post, so please be kind! 

I arrived here from Google as this site had the most hits relating to velux issues. Not sure if this is more of a tradesman forum, but hopefully someone can give some insight. 

Basically the handle that opens the velux window came off on one side where the hinge goes into the wood. The wood was split and metal hinge pulled out. After much googling I took it apart to reveal what looks to be a piece of metal simply sandwiched into the wood with no fixings of any sort holding it there. Seems a bizarre design and I'm confused as to why no one else appears to have moaned about this yet on the Internet? All I can find is a replacement part at great cost from Velux. 

Am I missing something or is this literally the worst design in history and a big weak point? 

Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

Managed to glue the piece of wood back together and screwed a small fixing through the wood into the hinge plate. See how long it lasts. 

May just make my own handle if it goes again with a proper fixings! 

Welcome, no worries plenty of amateur enthusiasts here 😉

Velux are normally very robust, never had a problem as you describe. 

Might be worth posting a photo to obtain more specific advice.

The window looks fairly new.  It is quite surprising how much force is needed to open and close these.  Maybe get in touch with Velux suggesting the product is defective?  They may let you have the part a bit cheaper.

The window is 4 years old. It is in the top attic guest room and probably gets opened a handful of times per year. 

What's the general warranty period for these windows? They were fitted as part of a full house refurbishment by a contractor so it wasn't me that purchased them directly it was the company in charge of the works. 

It'd be nice to get a replacement to be honest, but I'd want to know if anything has been done to the design in the past 4 years as it seems like a strange design to have no fixings in a metal / wood join that takes the full force of you opening a heavy wood and glass window 🤣

• 1 year later...

Mr Revellbikes

I wonder if we are twin souls. 

Today was one of those days when a baby bird decides to parachute down the chimney of my wood burner. They take turns at this, and I have developed a routine to free them whereby I throw open the windows and patio doors before I open the wood burner door and watch them hurl their little sooty bodies at any window that I have left shut. They seem to particularly like the velux on the opposite side of the room from the fire. It had been stuck for ages, but I thought a little determination with the hook would fix that. It did open the window, but it also split the vent flap away from the metal fixing in just the way that you describe. And my internet trawl found your comment which so accurately described the design and the obvious issues with it. 

did you get any joy from Velux?  I have cobbled my window back together so that it is properly shut, but I will not be able to open it with my pole and hook unless I replace the whole flap. This is not a serious issue for me, but may be for the fun loving birds playing games in my chimney.