Fire alarms

jfb

Should fire alarms be on their own circuit? I presume so but presumably there is some benefit to having them off the lighting circuit as it makes it harder for an inhabitant to turn off the alarms due to nuisance beeps.

I put them on their own circuit, however do try and add on a single light (eg a regularly used understairs cupboard light) that gives a quick and clear indication of circuit failure without waiting for backup batteries to start beeping.

6 hours ago, jfb said:

Should fire alarms be on their own circuit? I presume so but presumably there is some benefit to having them off the lighting circuit as it makes it harder for an inhabitant to turn off the alarms due to nuisance beeps.

They do not need to be on their own circuit. A dedicated circuit is fine, but given they are all battery backup its not the same issue really. 

In an ideal world yes you would but not a requirement and I am not really sure, having done it myself, what real benefits it really has. I always spec them on their own circuits I have to say, one of the first things that get's VEed out though.

The main reason I put them on their own circuit (and a dedicated RCBO at that) is to avoid nuisance trips from issues on other circuits. The risk is admittedly near-zero in practice for me (I can't remember the last nuisance trip that wasn't caused by something I was involved in at the time!) and it's not something that keeps me awake at night, and I do tend to be at the worrier end of the spectrum! It feels right though, like lining up faceplate screws on sockets and switches.