I was going to call myself Forging Ahead

Babybirddog

Good afternoon,

To explain the title. We bought an old derelict forge/smithy with a 200 year old cottage attached in about an acre some 2 years ago, just a couple of miles from Berwick upon Tweed.

During that time we have not forged ahead.

At least I have found this forum, it's great that people want to share( warts and all) and already I have picked up some useful info.

Planning delays , namely from bats (which we do not have),  but our neighbours opposite do. There were problems with concerns about contamination from the forge, to cut a long story short, the building was only ever used to shoe horses but the vendor thought that calling it a forge would give it more appeal and satisfying the guys from  environmental health took time. Plus we scaled down the project to a single story with 2 bedrooms mainly to suit our budget but also we decided that the two of us did not need anything bigger, still plenty of space for visitors.

We have now removed what remains of the forge (lost count of how much we shifted on that) dug foundations/drains for extension to cottage, gutted the cottage digging out about 100tonnes to allow us to lay our slab which will be finished by the weekend. 

The plan now is for the joiner to start 1st week of June. It feels like we are finally making progress.

Looking forward to reading my way through the posts

Cheers

Karen

• Like 1

Welcome @Babybirddog. Sounds like a great project and you are forging ahead just perhaps not at the pace you wanted. Things do take longer than you imagine in this game. I think you can rely on your fellow self builders here for support throughout and we will look forward to seeing progress. PS can see why it might have been forging ahead but where does babybirddog come fromO.o?

Guest Alphonsox

Welcome to the forum,

If you read the posts hereabouts you'll be hard pressed to find any that have been completed to schedule. We're into year 4 with no obvious finish date.....

Welcome! This place is an absolute goldmine. Search for 'How To' specifics - but if you don't find what you need, post and you will invariably get a response.

Couldn't have built ours without it (and yes, we are still building too, and yes, our bats are still around )

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

MikeSharp01 I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who I would take shooting. It was a small informal syndicate and we would beat one/stand one and eat all our shot birds. She started at a very young age and when she was over excited and forgot her training the usual comment was don't worry she's only a baby. After a while it was here comes the baby bird dog and the name has stuck (she is 11 this year) so l decided it would be easy to remember.

• Like 1