Traditional but efficient.

MMcGill

Hi all, I’ve scoured the forum but struggling to find a view of good suppliers for traditional style but efficient windows.

We’ve recently secured planning permission but the new house will be on a fairly traditional street therefore the front has to blend in - we’ve got an allowance for ‘wood effect’ windows at the front so at least have flexibility there, but I’m trying to make this new house as energy efficient as possible. I’m struggling to find a supplier beyond the usual UPVC candidates that supply a good looking window with low U-value (triple glazed). we’re based near York.

Any pointers appreciated!

A6FEEF09-BC66-4652-AD76-B3E4BEB1687D.jpeg

• Like 1

I wouldn't totally discount timber framed windows myself. Wooden frames have comparable U-Values to UPVC. I've seen some that perform better. My preference for them is based on appearance - UPVC always come out bulkier with less area for the glass for a given sized wall aperture. As for maintenance, yes they need an application of good quality exterior paint once in a while, but regular washing down can reduce the frequency. All UPVC windows that I've had experience of have become scruffy on similar time frames but then there's little that can be done to rejuvenate them after that.

PS your house looks a little bit like mine. Square leaded windows just don't sit right in UPVC IMO.

Edited by Radian

Have you tried Green Building Store? They do a mock sliding sash. I have used their windows as have a number of my clients and we've all been happy with them. Factory painted. Ours went in in 2014 and I don't envisage even considering putting a paint-brush to them for 4 years or so.

5 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Have you tried Green Building Store? They do a mock sliding sash. I have used their windows as have a number of my clients and we've all been happy with them. Factory painted. Ours went in in 2014 and I don't envisage even considering putting a paint-brush to them for 4 years or so.

Hi - yes that’s the closest window I can find but only comes in a tilt and turn model - would rather have a fixed bottom half and open top half… will continue to look for similar!

6 hours ago, Radian said:

I wouldn't totally discount timber framed windows myself. Wooden frames have comparable U-Values to UPVC. I've seen some that perform better. My preference for them is based on appearance - UPVC always come out bulkier with less area for the glass for a given sized wall aperture. As for maintenance, yes they need an application of good quality exterior paint once in a while, but regular washing down can reduce the frequency. All UPVC windows that I've had experience of have become scruffy on similar time frames but then there's little that can be done to rejuvenate them after that.

PS your house looks a little bit like mine. Square leaded windows just don't sit right in UPVC IMO.

hmm agree that wood will look the best but I’ve been stuck with maintenance before with a house with wooden windows - this frontage is south facing, would rather have something near maintenance free - anyone have any experience of Acoya? Seems expensive but also seems low maintenance?

if I could find a decent UPVC I’d be happy! 

20 hours ago, jayc89 said:

I have come across these Rationel windows. Apparently they're custom spec'd by Enlightened Windows

Outward-Opening-Fake-Sliding-Sash.jpg

That’s spot on, thanks for the pointer! Will start trying to find them - if you have any web details can you ping them on here thanks!

21 minutes ago, MMcGill said:

That’s spot on, thanks for the pointer! Will start trying to find them - if you have any web details can you ping them on here thanks!

I had to email the company to get this far. I'll PM you the email address of the guy I was speaking with.