How do you know you're being supplied with the glazing you paid for

Adsibob

I specified Sunguard Superneutral SN70/35.  Should there be a marking on the glass (usually in the corner) that confirms this?  There is a marking with a class and BS kitemark, but I can barely read it. I think it says "846241 Class 10512 ... UFF BS" The three dots may or may not represent missing text that wasn't captured by my photo. (The angle is too awkward to see without photographing.

My BCO had a gadget that he used to check every single pane of glass to ensure it was coated (and some of my windows have 12 seperate panes). He found one or two that were the wrong way around but that didn't seem to bother him.

Do you know the trick to see if the glass is coated? You shine a light (smartphone LED good for this) and look at the colour of reflections from each glass surface (four for double glazing, 6 for triple). The coated one will look a slightly different colour...

1005611489_IMG_20220615_160308276(1).thumb.jpg.535263f783efc030d285c7f4f57e414e.jpg

This shows the coating is on the outer surface of the inner pane of my coated double glazing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Great topiary!

Why thanks!

So earlier I was scratching my head over this coating thing... I know the coated surface reflects a different spectrum to the uncoated (hence the blue tint to the second reflection) BUT how come the next two out (uncoated) return the same untainted spectrum as the first? Actually the answer is right there in the word 'untainted'. It's not that the coating acts as a filter (like a toffee wrapper) but returns (i.e. reflects) a different spectrum. Obvious when you think about in terms of Quantum Electrodynamics 😁

Aw, if only Feynman was still with us 😔

14 minutes ago, Radian said:

Aw, if only Feynman was still with us

Perhaps he was reincarnated as you - :D  Oooops sorry overlap on that one - so need a whole new opiate of the people to sort that out but I suppose if we blend reincarnation (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism) and aspects of quantum physics / mechanics, which after all  Feynman said nobody understood, like superposition, perhaps Feynman was in two places at the same time and so carries on as you. (Everything is possible in this simulation we live in) More likely he is, was, the fly that just drowned itself in my water glass - so hopefully he will be along again soon or else I have just set back science by a chunk. 

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

More likely he is, was, the fly that just drowned itself in my water glass

Are you sure it's just water in that glass? 🤣

Aaargh - a swarm of those pesky little blighters drove us indoors during our alfresco dinner this evening as well!

13 hours ago, Radian said:

.... Obvious when you think about [it] in terms of Quantum Electrodynamics ...

That there is one of the reasons I keep coming back to BH.  

I have not got a clue what QE is, but I'm going to have a nice 10 minutes finding out. 

Now, coffee and toast ....

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

have not got a clue what QE is, but I'm going to have a nice 10 minutes finding out

You will wish you never looked it up.

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Now, coffee and toast

Six impossible thing before breakfast.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

You will wish you never looked it up.

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Oh dear, you've got me triggered. I think it's just astoundingly beautiful.

Quantum electrodynamics (QED) is a mathematical framework that captures all the ways particles like photons and electrons interact. That all sounds pretty dry until you realise that this effectively covers EVERYTHING that isn't gravity or nuclear forces. There should then be a double-take when you see that this means EVERYTHING from the strength and all other physical properties of materials, the way that heat and light reflects, refracts and radiates... you name it, it doesn't matter what you point to - apart from the unsubtle effects of gravity and the all too subtle effects of nuclear forces - all our daily interactions with the world can be described with QED.

And if that wasn't enough magic, at the very heart of QED is the principle that it all comes down to little spinning clock-like vectors. Honestly. Pick up a copy of QED The Strange Theory of Light and Matter if you're curious to see how something so simple could explain so much.

9780140125054.jpg.531c2e3e9f0520a204735fa389e98f3c.jpg

Ordered.

'...a framework ...' (above) like a coding framework - say JQuery [ I suspect that's an inadequate analogy ] ? 

I'm beginning to think, now that I'm likely to make myself make time for stuff other than building, that I might just dip a toe into stuff I found hard at skool: like maffs. 

I'm beginning to be more able to take a joke than I was in the last few years.  But, @SteamyTea will disagree I suspect.

33 minutes ago, Radian said:

the way that heat and light reflects, refracts and radiates

I mentioned thermal properties with a quantum model on here a while back, no one bit, they probably thought I was just bring a smart arse. Odd, as it is the simplest way to understand both heat capacity and conductance.

18 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I'm beginning to think, now that I'm likely to make myself make time for stuff other than building, that I might just dip a toe into stuff I found hard at skool: like maffs. 

The maffs is hard. REALLY hard. Way over my pay grade.

But it's not needed at all to get an understanding of QED. The maths is only necessary if you are going to apply it in a practical sense to an actual task like, say, working out what curvature of glass you need for a lens with specific properties (from first principles). The clever maths is there to provide short cuts to otherwise impracticably tedious but simple operations. A bit like how a lawn mower gets your grass cut: it's a simple process that you could get down on the lawn and do with a pair of nail scissor - but you wouldn't. In this analogy the mower represent years of postgraduate training in advanced maths which lets you take a big swipe at the problem and get quick results. Feynman makes a big deal about this distinction which is why he delivered his series of lectures to a very wide audience.

Maffs is the language of the sciences, not a science in itself. 

Practice rearranging equations, BIDMAS and the laws of indices  and you are almost there.

That just leaves geometry, a most peculiar discipline, but is often the basis of all mathematical axioms.

I wish I had studied mathematics rather than engineering, and wish I could do more if it.

On 15/06/2022 at 14:17, Adsibob said:

I specified Sunguard Superneutral SN70/35.  Should there be a marking on the glass (usually in the corner) that confirms this?  There is a marking with a class and BS kitemark, but I can barely read it. I think it says "846241 Class 10512 ... UFF BS" The three dots may or may not represent missing text that wasn't captured by my photo. (The angle is too awkward to see without photographing.

Not on the kitemark but you may see information written on the spacer bar relating to the glass make-up, order number, position, coating etc. You'll need to look to find and if triple it could be either the inner or outer bar.