new windows just fitted but with issues...

New home

Hello, we had new windows installed also the frames were removed - everything was replaced. Questions: 1. is it ok if the new window is scratched (from somewhere beginning in/behind the frame, the scratch is about 12cm long across and goes up a bit, the window is about 32cm wide. The scratch faces the room, so  when I am in the room I can feel it when I "run my nail through it. 2. The door handles are also scratched, is it normal? 3. On the first photo  there are the hinges from the garden doors on the right side (you can see the screws/connections - they had to be stretched as the fitter said "the doors have to fit". Is this kind of "stretch" normal?  On the left part of the garden doors the screws are not visible at all. 4. Plus this right side of the garden doors seems a bit hard to close - you have to push it a bit more. The other side is ok. To close either side of those garden doors you can "just ordinary close them" with the handle or the other option is to lift the handle up to close them properly. When I just "ordinary" close the right part (where those hinges are so visible and extended, plus this is the part which in general is stiff to close) there is a space at the bottom or they do not close tightly at the bottom (and you can feel the air coming through there). You can see in the photo below that there is a space. The upper part of those right garden doors is tight and there is no such a space. I do not think this is ok, is it? Are all of those things I have listed normal or should they all be replaced or corrected? Apologies I have never had windows fitted before so not sure what the standards are and what is normal, acceptable and what is not. Trying to gather as much feedback as possible as the fitters are coming tomorrow to have a look at those windows.

window 2.JPG

window 4.JPG

Hi @New home

Trying to reply as reasonably as possible....

If the glass has a scratch on it that you can feel with your finger nail then it is damaged and need replacing. The same really with the door handles.

The screws can show but it sounds as if the doors have not been adjusted correctly.

All in all it sounds like not enough care with the materials and the installation.

It may be that the frame is not in the right position or the wrong size. It may not.

if there is a gap at the bottom of the door then the rain will come in - so no, no good at all.

I would not accept these problems.

Best

M

Doors haven’t been adjusted correctly. If this is a pair of French doors then you adjust equally to bring them together, not from one side. The gap you are seeing is because the cams in the opening door are not engaging in the frame at the bottom - it means the door isn’t parallel to the frame, and/or the door isn’t parallel to the other door. 

All of the above is a 15 min fix for a decent fitter who should re-adjust the doors and they will be fine. You do sometimes find they will bind when warm but that’s because the doors expand in the heat. 

A scratched unit (especially one beyond a seal) needs replacing. 

Two more questions, if two dark/grey pads (like on the photo 1 here in the old frame) are removed from one side of the side window panel (which is not ever going to be opened, like on the photo 2) to the balcony doors is it ok or not? And if the level looks like on photo 3 in one place is it ok? Should the level be used when fitting windows?

1458494564_window8.JPG

window 10.png

Because some other people living here in those apartments, houses complained about the windows which they had (they about 12 years old). Mine were fine, but the Housing Association has decided to replace all the windows for everybody at once.

jeeze what kind of customer are you checking the trades work with a spirit level..

the grey things are just plastic packing spacers used to stop the glass units sitting in the bottom of the frame/ for heel and toe'ing the glass unit. space around the frame.

complain about the scratched handle and get them to just fit a new one. the rest is fine. 

Simple adjustments will resolve all of these issues.

5 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

jeeze what kind of customer are you checking the trades work with a spirit level..

One that can see the difference in handle heights and that it doesn't look right, without having the knowledge or understanding of how things should be but looking for help. So they are not making themselves look stupid when they ask the question upon their return.

8 hours ago, New home said:

two dark/grey pads (like on the photo 1 here in the old frame) are removed from one side of the side window panel

Glazing packers should be used to around the glass unit to toe and heel as has been mentioned then spaced out around the glass unit. Not doing so, causes potential issues further down the line. 

As for your door sitting proud, this is simply adjustment and the door is not sitting correct, the cams are not engaging into the keeps, which forces the door out as you see. Once this is fixed (easy fix), the issue will be gone.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

what kind of customer are you checking the trades work with a spirit level..

The kind that wants it right. 

Doing this unseen after hours avoids any conflict, and provides either peace of mind or a good opportunity to sort it sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I know nothing about windows, construction etc so asking questions is asking for help from a different source rather than the fitters themselves - I did not want to be told "it is a minor scratch" or "the windows are stiff now but once you use them a bit they will get better"  etc. Once you are left with the job I was left with plus without any comments from them for example "..oh we know this window we have to come back and replace ..." or sth along those lines, I was a bit amazed. Hence I wanted to know what the general rules are and understand as much as possible. The answers were really helpfully - than you all, plus again thank you to those who stood up for me or/and will stand up again for anybody who might post on this forum in the future and might be in the similar situation.

Edited by New home

• 1 month later...

Hello again, the company which was due to address all the “snugging issues” (as they call them) in 2 weeks or so, has not done anything yet. Once emailed they do not response, just got the info from the Housing Association that “...the company told them that the units have not been arriving in time recently…” - the units meaning all the faulty windows to be replaced. It has been 1.5 months and we are still in limbo. Not sure what kind of relationship the company which installed the windows has with the company that produces all the windows, but they should know that some corrections/replacement might be needed so this should be a priority – I expect. I honestly do not know what might be causing such a delay. I think this is not a good customer service from the company which installed the windows, leaving us without any updates, so we have to chase them, ignoring the emails…Anyway, enough of my rant but this is stressful and I am not sure what job they will do when they will come to replace and correct everything…

OK, As I have mentioned earlier the locks in the windows were getting stiff while opening them and closing them (the part which is getting stiffed is circled in yellow – it is the whole mechanism in this lock). During the first inspection the man from the company which installed the windows, sprayed them with some special spray (he sprayed those locks plus also underneath – I think - somehow “inside the lock” as the red arrow is pointing) which should help and it did for a couple of weeks. Now those locks are getting stiff again, it is getting really hard to open them. I do not think it is normal. If he comes again to spray again I do not think it will hep in a long term… And advice on this please?

window 11.PNG

What works are going on outside? While the windows are open. If it’s dusty then the dust will stick to the oil/grease causing stiffness (if stiff with window open then this is the cause). 

Edited by markc

No works at all, just the scaffolding waiting for the "window people" to come back and replace things. Again the lock were already getting stiffed the day they installed them or the day after. Next they sprayed them and now they are getting stiffed again.

The man came today to adjust the windows plus he sprayed them again with the silicone spray (he sprayed them also about 1.5 months ago but they got stiffed again). So when the windows are open 2 handles works ok now, the 3rd makes a noise (a bit weird for me, the window fitter said it is normal....I really do not think so). He also said the windows might need oiling/spraying once or perhaps even twice a year, according to his company it is a standard windows maintenance - I have never heard about something like this nor have to oil/spray windows in the other places where I have lived. Is oiling/spraying  the windows with the silicone spray, once or twice a year, really normal?

Edited by New home

3 hours ago, New home said:

Is oiling/spraying  the windows with the silicone spray, once or twice a year, really normal?

No. And contractors who make up stories like this are perhaps not very good at what they do.

Anybody can buy and fit a window. Not everyone can do it well.

Keep on at them because once they are gone, these are your windows to live with.

On 02/08/2022 at 16:26, New home said:

He also said the windows might need oiling/spraying once or perhaps even twice a year, according to his company it is a standard windows maintenance

He's correct.

On 02/08/2022 at 19:33, saveasteading said:

No. And contractors who make up stories like this are perhaps not very good at what they do.

Unfortunately, you're wrong. If you look into the warranty package supplied by the manufacturers/suppliers, which is also based on the relevant suppliers of the mechanisms, such as Maco, Seigenia etc. Your warranty is technically void if the care and maintenance instructions are not followed, which also means using the type of lubricant mentioned.

Does anyone do it? No, has anyone had the warranty claim rejected as a result, yes? 

On 03/08/2022 at 08:59, New home said:

In terms of oiling/lubrication - someone has provided me this link so I assume this lubrication is standard for some?

We just tend to use the following

https://www.soudal.co.uk/diy/products/cleaners-and-sprays/technical-sprays/silicone-spray which you can buy on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soudal-SP400-400-Silicone-Spray/dp/B00ILY1TU2/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=53287546495&gclid=CjwKCAjw3K2XBhAzEiwAmmgrAh2zE3_57ZDhIS0pBrNHZh4nkVv9lx_daDuXskizdaKyLJ-RNlcgzBoCgVMQAvD_BwE&hvadid=606045988041&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007322&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18309720890875836839&hvtargid=kwd-314473522307&hydadcr=26220_2698282&keywords=soudal+silicone+spray&qid=1659625882&sr=8-5

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Maintenance is good, but there seems to be something wrong when this happens with new windows.

Of course it’s good. Maintenance forms part of your warranty.

Should the issue experienced be happening? No. The root issue needs to be resolved. I wouldn’t be blaming the hardware at this stage but I would be looking at the product/installation first and foremost. 

With my mind being on an installation related issue.

Edited by craig