Cost of rerouting broadband cable

I will be starting an extension soon at the side of the house. The boradband cable (Virgin Media) crosses the garden at the side where the extension will be built, and the entry box is on the external wall which will become an internal wall. Some time ago I contacted Virgin Media to enquire about rerouting the cable. I didn't hear back and having chased them up they now say they require a £240 fee to create site plans, and that this will take up to 25 days (by which time work will have started). This seems a bit excessive for a cable crossing a 12ft strip of garden.

Does anyone have any experience with having VM cables moved? A bit of online searching suggests that there should only be a £99 "non-fault callout" charge to alter the location of the entry point.

As VM took weeks to respond to my original requests and I neglected to follow up, I now face having a digger on site potentially cutting off my TV/internet. I wonder if it would be better to just carefully unearth the cable and protect it while excavations are going on?

At my mothers flat i think it was just a coaxial cable that comes in to a faceplate like box.  It's probably against their T&C to DIY or ask an electrician to move but if you are just making it shorter I'd think its a simple enough job.

Think I would carefully hand dig it up and make a temporary waterproof enclosure for it all out of the way while the building work is done then see if your electrician can sort it or as per @Conor

Think my mum had something like this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIRGIN-MEDIA-WHITE-WALL-BOX-ISOLATOR-CABLE-SPLITTER-HOUSING-COVER-TV-BROADBAND/333948721544?mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338624526&toolid=10029&customid=6b53424fd87a32d26446afc804a0580b&pageci=80a491e2-3959-49d1-af51-4143dca5242b&redirect=mobile

Update on this - I managed to get through to someone via Virgin Media text help service, and they booked in an engineer within days, at a cost of £25. He dug up the cable and extended it so there is plenty of slack to move it out of the way of excavations.

• Like 1