How long to heat up?

Moggaman

Hi. Plumber turned on UFH for first time 2 days ago, upstairs and down . It’s Monday evening and I still can feel a warm slab to my touch… 100mm concrete downstairs on 150mm PIR , 50mm liquid screed on 50mm PIR upstairs . Afraid to ask the plumber cause I have inundated him with questions in the last while. He thinks I’m questioning his work but really I’m just after information. So, I’ll ask ye guys, does it take a good few days for the UFH to ramp up?

also, what does this tube at the top of the Manifold represent?

thanks

C9DD5395-D984-4F5D-ACCC-27C46B541B6E.jpeg

Sorry, I’m confused by your question. If the slab is warm to the touch, then it’s already heated up. Are you asking how long it took to get warm? Or are you expecting it to get hotter? UFH does not work like a radiator. A radiator needs to be quite hot to work efficiently, whereas UFH operates at a much lower temperature.

39 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Sorry, I’m confused by your question. If the slab is warm to the touch, then it’s already heated up. Are you asking how long it took to get warm? Or are you expecting it to get hotter? UFH does not work like a radiator. A radiator needs to be quite hot to work efficiently, whereas UFH operates at a much lower temperature.

I mean that after 2 days , both slabs do not feel warm…

7 hours ago, Moggaman said:

Hi. Plumber turned on UFH for first time 2 days ago, upstairs and down . It’s Monday evening and I still can feel a warm slab to my touch… 100mm concrete downstairs on 150mm PIR , 50mm liquid screed on 50mm PIR upstairs . Afraid to ask the plumber cause I have inundated him with questions in the last while. He thinks I’m questioning his work but really I’m just after information. So, I’ll ask ye guys, does it take a good few days for the UFH to ramp up?

also, what does this tube at the top of the Manifold represent?

thanks

C9DD5395-D984-4F5D-ACCC-27C46B541B6E.jpeg

This is a flow meter, its used to balance the flow through the individual loops of pipe.  In the above photo, I would suggest this, and the loop to the right are off. as the red disc is at the top. 0 (or close to zero) flow. 

I mean that after 2 days , both slabs do not feel warm…

Ok, well that would suggest it is off. The temperature of the finished floor level should be between about 24C or 27C. So when you touch it, it should feel warm, even through socks, particularly if your floor finish is something that would otherwise feel a bit cold like tiles or laminate. So double check your thermostats are calling for heat and that your heat source is working and if it’s still not warm to the touch Definitely raise it with your plumber.

Are the pipes leaving the manifolds warm to the touch? Are the return pipes warm or cold?

What are the room stats set to?

Note that your flow temperature might be set as low as 28c and if your abient is something 22c, there won't be much of a warming effect, bit definitely noticeable. 

We got ours fired up last week and could feel the warm floor leaving the plant room.

Edited by Conor

Work put how the system works re room thermostats etc and check the correct zones turn on and show some flow on the flowmeters.

Get a cheap IR thermometer to measure the floor temperature and pipe temperatures.  24 degrees won;t feel "warm" to the touch.