Lifting Steels

Today i had the steels delivered 

In the past I’ve manhandled them with a few mates 

This time due to the height (3000)

and advancing years I hired a Genie 55 quid well spent with the help of the two steel guys we placed the steels on trestles under where they where going 

This allowed me to bolt them together and bolt Timbers in 

Unlikely previous times 

Once all the Timbers where bolted in 

It was a one man job to lift and drop them in position 

3FE20A57-E854-4CFB-B24A-39C213C9824F.jpeg

• Like 4

I am certainly no expert, but if you are spanning joists between left and right steels it can sometimes be easier and just as good notch them in and rest them on the steels and noggin between.

Block and beam gives a nice platform to work on with the genie.

With trestles, I recently bought some galvanised ones with feet that can rotate for stacking.  Pissed off with others rusting to bits and shinning me when I move them.  Time will tell.  Your ground floor footprint looks generous.  Very nice site.  What size house?

Looking good.

Luckily we have a friend with a telehandler who lifted our ground floor steels into place. We hired two genie lifts for our steels at the back of the house as can't get the telehandler up due to site restrictions. Luckily we were working off a concrete raft.

New build genie lift steels Dec 2021.jpg

Your going well Nod, it's flying up, I was hoping to be up to first floor level next week myself but the bloody weather here this week has put that out the window, thankfully I've been 25ton machine ive left on site to lift the steels whenever we get there

• Thanks 1

I've plenty of room around the house for it and when I was digging and redistributing circa 2000m3 of muck on site anything less would have been a real pain. I've a block grab for it too so the block layers are using it so it dead handy and the fact it's free is also a nice bonus.

One the slabs go on I'll probably swap it out for something smaller .

Plus I know the driver and he is pretty tasty 

Edited by Ronan 1

5 hours ago, Ronan 1 said:

I've plenty of room around the house for it and when I was digging and redistributing circa 2000m3 of muck on site anything less would have been a real pain. I've a block grab for it too so the block layers are using it so it dead handy and the fact it's free is also a nice bonus.

One the slabs go on I'll probably swap it out for something smaller .

Plus I know the driver and he is pretty tasty 

I’ve just paid for the dozer 

Three days £1500 Plus £300 per day fuel 

Saved me over 10 k in muck away 

Your really lucky to have the loan Free 

mod a massive machine 

Yeah I'm lucky we do alot of heavy civils  so have Lots of large plant about even managed to get the free lend of a dump drunk and 2 drivers for  fortnight but a bit like the dozer the big plant is great except when you pull up to fill the bowser with diesel 😖

I'd hate to think of what it would have cost if I had to pay so one to do it...

12 hours ago, Happy Valley said:

Looking good.

Luckily we have a friend with a telehandler who lifted our ground floor steels into place. We hired two genie lifts for our steels at the back of the house as can't get the telehandler up due to site restrictions. Luckily we were working off a concrete raft.

image.png.391351a7aeea52a08b2b1b8f2122001d.png

That gusset plate at the top of the column with the oval hole looks interesting.

I was wondering if someone has been looking at lifting and handling hence it may be a lifting point. But putting my SE hat on the strength and stiffness of that connection has been significantly reduced to the point where I would want to revisit the calculations and explore the "design journey" that connection has gone through.