Hard Water Softening Systems

CharlieKLP

I’ve just moved to a place with very hard water, how do you add a softener and can anyone recommend a system? 

Is it a job that requires a plumber, I’ve fitted a dishwasher before but that’s about it. 

how often do you have to change the filters, and do they need electric?

A bit of research or prefessional input needed here. A softener is *not* a filter...

some need electric, others don't. I'll vote for the Kinetico because we use them in my day job and are simple and reliable

• Like 1

They go on to the incoming cold water, and kitchen supply normally bypasses, so you decent drinking water.

Alternative are something like a combi saver.  This stops scale forming and would normally go on the cold supply to a combi boiler or UVC.

• Like 1

When we lived in Kent we had very hard water and I fitted softeners in all the houses I lived in. They're straightforward to fit and all but one were twin cylinder type that don't required an electrical connection. They all seem to work in the same way and I have used Kinetico, MiniMax, TwinTec and Crown. Most seem to be made by Harveys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

They seem expensive.

They are, but I would rather have one than hard water. The last one I bought, a few years ago, was a Harveys Crown and was £850. I'm lucky, now I've moved to Cornwall, I don't need one.

We have a Monarch Midi, I think we got it ~10 years ago.  No trouble, diy install, still works fine.  It feeds the hot water system, also the shower cold and washing m/c.  Not the dishwasher just because the plumbing was awkward, and it has it's own anyway.  All our cold taps are still normal, so any are good to drink from.  The amount of salt it uses is directly proportional to the water through it, so avoiding toilets and cold water taps seems a win.  We got it to reduce dry skin irritation when showering, so that was the focus.  Only slight irritation with it is the pregnant plug charger runs warm, and total standby power is 6W.  The plug is AC out, so it would be hard to improve it.

BWT AC002200 Combi Care, or Combi mate.

both work the same way

AquaDial Combi-Care works by introducing a very small amount of food grade polyphosphate into the water feed, sequestering the calcium in the water and preventing it from forming scale on the heat exchanger.

Offers protection from both limescale and corrosion

Suitable for whole house and single appliance protection

Flow rates up to 54 litres per minute

Easy change cartridge

Cartridges have a 12 month life

Can be used in soft water areas as a corrosion inhibitor

Width: 120mm, Length: 215mm

Max Flow Rate: 0.9 l/s

• Like 1