Reducing Energy Bills - How goes it?

1 minute ago, Radian said:

Do you have to enable comments for a blog? Couldn't see how to add one.

Don't know, never done one before, shall go and look.

Try it now.

Off to feed the poor and needy, or is it the fat and greedy.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Our present meter goes solid red when exporting

Doh! So does mine after all. But because I've had the diverter running since I started looking closely it either stays off completely while the Joule bucket is filling or blinks at 4000 flashes/kWh when empty (and we're drawing power from the grid). The one case I was overlooking is the odd occasion that I'm trying to track down - when a little power is leaked back into the grid. Then it lights solid for a brief moment, no wonder I missed it! I've only noticed it now while trying that smartphone app.

You have not made the blog correctly.

you have lots in the "about this blog" section which is just meant to be a summary of what the blog is about, e.g "This is a blog about energy monitoring"

Then below that it says "there are no blog entries yet"  THAT is where you make a blog entry to put all the meat of the blog.  Only when a blog entry is present will comments be possible.

It is technically at the moment an empty blog.

5 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

How does he fix it, by creating a category or an entry?

I don't know I don't have a buildhub blog.  How did you create your test blog entry?

I think the only reason @SteamyTea can't do it now is he is at work.  Perhaps he can try when he gets home.  If there is an edit window time then once the blog entry is created, a mod can copy the bulk of the content presently in the "about" section into the blog entry.

Interesting.

Octopus has now allowed me to reduce my monthly payment from £111 to £65, it having been £91 previously up until last month, and their recommendation "based on my usage" being £147, now reduced to £137.

The only change I can see is that my account is now about £100 in credit, having been £14 in debit.

Hmmm.

The current forecast. Actual energy bills in the latest month were just over £40.

image.thumb.png.3f369ded353f4fb5d74bdfbf47631e37.png

Don't forget when playing with Octopus's forecast you WANT that forecast to be in arrears by about March 2023 by about £400 as their prediction is not showing the £400 the government is going to pay into your account between Octomer 2022 and March 2023

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Don't forget when playing with Octopus's forecast you WANT that forecast to be in arrears by about March 2023 by about £400 as their prediction is not showing the £400 the government is going to pay into your account between Octomer 2022 and March 2023

Thanks.

I picked that up when you raised it before.

I make my £65 to take into account around £35 per months = ~£400 a year.

Since my danger period is GCH bills next winter, and there may be another hike to come, I am being a little cautious.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Mine doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense .

The y-axis scales to the energy used, so in your three charts above, the scale is different (0 to 0.3, o to 0.8 and 0 to 1)

The x-axis is the time series, and seem each column is half hour energy usage.

The two lower charts show similar usage patterns (20-7 and 26-7), the top one shows a different usage pattern, but at lower energy usage i.e. max usage is around 0.25 kWh in 30 minutes.  The others peak at 0.65 and 0.8  kWh for a 30 minute block.

Power is energy divided by time.  Energy is power times time.

Edited by SteamyTea