Another Norn Iron one...

dpmiller

Bonjour from sunny Newtownards. Another first-timer here, trying to pull off that miraculous money-saving build. We're at contract on a site currently near Carrowdore, and are working with Shaun Baxter from Irish House Plans on a design. There's FPP on the site retained on footings, but we'll be reapplying to get our "own" home.

I've had discussions with Kilbroney re. a TF build and it sounds like they'll be good to offer whatever level of support I require. We'll see if any of the other TF providers want to play too.

We've someone trusted for the groundworks

I intend to do all the interior except for the spread. My background is in industrial and lab equipment repair and so I'm comfortable doing the electrical, plumbing and heating (with a little help from my friends, lol) as well as the insulation, airtightness MVHR and boarding.

I hope I can offer something to the collective as much as take.

David

• Like 2

A warm welcome to you David.  

What type of house / style are you thinking of? 

Plenty of advice and experience on here, and plenty to read as well.  The blogs are well worth spending a bit of time going over to give you a flavour of what you are letting yourself in for!

Thanks chaps. It's a 1.5 storey bog-standard white rendered jobbie in the vernacular stylee. 4 beds up with only one as ensuite and we're still working on the exact detail of the GF Trying to fit into the environment and not rocking the boat too much compared to the existing FPP.

Not sure on the square footage yet, we're still doing a bit of stretching and shuffling to get all we want where we want it. Sonewhere a bit north of 2500 I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

So where are we at then.

Design is finalised. Just waiting now for the final docs to arrive. Thus far, dealing with Shaun has been an absolute dream. Far from being just another "off-book" plan he's totally redrawn and redesigned the basic house. He's considered economies of build, taken on board my view of the site, and denied nothing we've asked for. Totally "un-architecty".

I'm kinda sitting on my hands a bit now tho until the solicitors square everything up. There's a long shared lane so a couple of parties to involve.

But once that's completed, I've a planning consultant cued up to make the requisite application, and will take advice on how best to apply for the Consent to Discharge.

Other services look OK all things being considered.

So once the site completes, what can I do "on the ground"? Get a machine in for a day and scrape the grass off in the vicinity of the build?Put a gate or chain up? I'm guessing not much more as the original footings will likely need to remain for inspection. Any thoughts?

Guest Alphonsox

I think the first thing we did was to set out the house footprint using "crime scene" tape and some electric fence posts. We then spent the afternoon sitting in deck chairs and deciding that we had specified something far too small (we hadn't and now we have a house that is bigger than required). Beyond that the next events were putting in the access way and getting water piped in.

Buying the site cash, and remortgaging the current pad to fund enough of the build to be habitable.

Lane is already in as is water, transformer is the other side of a bordering laneway (the poles come along our side of the fence), BT line comes down the lane to the newbuild just beside "our" plot. 

Youngster is going into P6 this year and we currently live about a quarter mile from his school so no point moving til he goes to big school; that give a reasonable timeframe I hope.

@dpmiller with regards the consent to discharge do you know what sort of treatment plant you are going to install?

Viltra in Newry is one option available. Colm Gribben will handle the consent to discharge for you for a smallish fee and if you end up using Viltra products they knock his fee off the total cost.

https://www.viltra.co.uk

Yes, I'm liking the Rewatec Solido from Wastewater Direct, they've been the most helpful I've had a conversation with so far and it doesn't hinder that they're nice and local for commissioning etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye. As the existing approval is pre-PPS21 I'm going to spend a few quid getting a consultant to do the dirty deed. Sounds like ANDBC planning is running about 8 months behind so I only want to do it once and the right man might be able to apply some leverage.

Hopefully.

I'd be happier if we could get completion on the site first tho...

• 1 month later...