Zoot wood balcony job.

3 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

yes, though ony 26-27 up here, still too hot for us, we're not built for heat up here.

Ha, down here in the southwest the sky started leaking (I think it’s called rain) well, just a little, light cloud and thankfully much cooler.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

FFA0AB74-EE38-4FB5-BB4E-19115DA5D688.jpeg

It certainly is. Just back from my local after 3 pints of Thistly Cross and a bag of steak ridge cut McCoys. Just me, the pub cat and a paperback in the sun trap garden. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It certainly is. Just back from my local after 3 pints of Thistly Cross and a bag of steak ridge cut McCoys. Just me, the pub cat and a paperback in the sun trap garden. 

The high life for sure 

Chaps,

just forming a plan for my 2 posts. Do the U shape brackets fix to posts, with say (2x) 8mm S.S threaded rods? Or 10mm?

And the post job itself:  Brackets here Wednesday, so I'll dig out my two pad areas & get the 2 buckets in ready next. Plumbline marks centres.

Is the idea roughly thus:

1) fix my two brackets onto posts,

2) measure & cut post notches,

3) attatch *temporary offcut thin timbers for support @ btm, 4) clamp in place over bucket with spike within/ 1 temporary screw to frame,

5) use *timbers to get level & plumb.. 5) pour concrete. 

? Thanks, zoot

Morning squire, couple of screws each side is all you need to fix saddles to bottom of posts, the joint will always be in compression so technically doesn’t need anything.

I would fit the posts in place, temp props to maintain correct deck level, temp stays or braces to maintain post in plumb and get the concrete in. 

I'd get my holes dug with a layer of tamped down rubble in the base - fairly level.

Drop a flat 'ish piece of rubble in last.

I'd then "hang" the 6"x6"s with the brackets bolted on, into the holes - the bracket sits on the flat 'ish piece of rubble. Then lift and pack under the legs. Knock 'em square with aid of the aformentioned post level (tweak one to the other by eye) and get the concrete in.

On 14/08/2022 at 09:16, Simplysimon said:

bead - spirit level, no idea why but that's what's the term is.

yes, though ony 26-27 up here, still too hot for us, we're not built for heat up here.

Aha. I''m the one been the one in the sun too long then.

You must be up in bonnie scotland-?

On 15/08/2022 at 10:14, markc said:

Morning squire, couple of screws each side is all you need to fix saddles to bottom of posts, the joint will always be in compression so technically doesn’t need anything.

I would fit the posts in place, temp props to maintain correct deck level, temp stays or braces to maintain post in plumb and get the concrete in. 

Hi there markc, 2 screws eh? Ok that's good but bracket holes  do look big'uns. I've got threaded ss rod enough for 1 each if needed.

Thanks that's a useful outline to work with, though manoeuvring the hefty posts in place alone I think a challenge.

Thanks, Zoot.

On 15/08/2022 at 10:51, Onoff said:

I'd get my holes dug with a layer of tamped down rubble in the base - fairly level.

Drop a flat 'ish piece of rubble in last.

I'd then "hang" the 6"x6"s with the brackets bolted on, into the holes - the bracket sits on the flat 'ish piece of rubble. Then lift and pack under the legs. Knock 'em square with aid of the aformentioned post level (tweak one to the other by eye) and get the concrete in.

Hang is a useful word.. I get the idea there, struggling a bit with the flat rubble piece idea though.

I'll get holes dug, buckets in & report back.

Thanks, zoot.