Zoot wood balcony job.

51 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Thanks- nuts & the 22+mm washers spot on in fact. Zoot

Not my first rodeo.

You can at a push use an ordinary hole saw say 25mm dia to counterbore. Or even a router if you make a jig.

Bit of a knack to cutting studs to length with an angle grinder. I cut to length with a 0.8 or 1mm slitting disc. Then take the burr off and buff the end with a flap disc. 

My nuts fit every time. 

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Not my first rodeo.

You can at a push use an ordinary hole saw say 25mm dia to counterbore. Or even a router if you make a jig.

Bit of a knack to cutting studs to length with an angle grinder. I cut to length with a 0.8 or 1mm slitting disc. Then take the burr off and buff the end with a flap disc. 

My nuts fit every time. 

Yup. Im new to m12 stud tho, & angle grinders.. no idea what disc I had on it, metal compatible? seemingly not then if I had the struggle to get nuts on 3 rough ends. Hand filing for hours  with a 4mm file!

Done my 7 studs as best I could. Last 4 curing now. As I couldn't offer timber up/ place rods thru it to set (as I needed access to the tubes & resin spill within my hole fronts).. Im gonna have a helluva job getting the timber on the 7 studs.

Need another hand, & alot of fettling taking the ledger on/ off & faffing its holes to get it up, & slipped onto the studs. Urgh.

With studs in concrete we'll some times give them a little tweak in the right direction with either a length of pipe slipped over them or two nuts on the end and a club hammer.

Your best best likely to enlarge the odd hole in the timber. 

Should have pre drilled the ledger, drilled through to spot the wall, removed ledger, drilled to depth. Put all the studs in in one hit. Pump in the resin push in a stud, onto the next. Ledger would have slipped on pretty much with the odd tweak on the stud with a club hammer.

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

With studs in concrete we'll some times give them a little tweak in the right direction with either a length of pipe slipped over them or two nuts on the end and a club hammer.

Your best best likely to enlarge the odd hole in the timber. 

Should have pre drilled the ledger, drilled through to spot the wall, removed ledger, drilled to depth. Put all the studs in in one hit. Pump in the resin push in a stud, onto the next. Ledger would have slipped on pretty much with the odd tweak on the stud with a club hammer.

I did most of this, timber up then marked the 7 holes v. Accurately. But difference here is I couldn't resin, the put timber up & insert rods thru holes & into my wall holes.

Hence the extra day & half work. Flat wall.. would have done your way & sorted in one morning.

Anyway last big sod is later today trying to get the timber on.

Then.. Im downhill. Apart from setting my pillars in ground.

21 hours ago, zoothorn said:

For eg, the 12mm rod, to deburr the ends to get a nut on.. took me 2 hours last night alone! 

probably too late now, but when cutting rod put the nut on first then cut rod after the nut and remove nut to keep threads right.

9 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

probably too late now, but when cutting rod put the nut on first then cut rod after the nut and remove nut to keep threads right.

Two nuts on one end of the length of the studding, tightened against each other are real useful for holding that end. 

51 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Don't forget you tend to induce mission creep in people, asking the same stuff they've invested time in answering before! 😂

Yes but only cos my memory is sh*te. Tbh Im surprised I have any left after art school at all...

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Yep, same as the ones you used last time! 😂

They'll be galvanised steel not aluminium I suspect.

No, I mean I can't find a link, or remember where i got them from. Trawled loads of pages, pages prior to these pics for eg.. no link or info.

Can you recognise this type was my question-?

Thanks, zoot

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

No, I mean I can't find a link, or remember where i got them from. Trawled loads of pages, pages prior to these pics for eg.. no link or info.

Can you recognise this type was my question-?

Thanks, zoot

It's a generic joist hanger ffs! Think harder.

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It's a generic joist hanger ffs! Think harder.

I know it is. All I was asking, is if you recognised the type/ where from.

I have very few places here. I know how my last one worked, i need to track down where i got it from.

Can you recognise it, from zooming into the photo?

Every type i look at on www " 6x2 joist hanger" looks nothing like it. This is why I am asking, with a photo to help.

Thanks, zoot

I mean is it 47mm ( i think this is generic 2" ) x 277mm the one I need?

(277mm.. means nothing to me.)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-standard-jiffy-hanger-47-x-277mm-10-pack/25392

Then there's a 50mm x 275mm. And another 47mm x 248mm. And 44mm x 278mm! have no idea.

Edited by zoothorn

Do you go into the Screwfix branch and pay cash? Or do you order online and collect.

Go back in your SF order history?

Those ones you linked look about right. Use twisty nails, bend over the top of the timber and down the other side. You might want to put the hangers on the ledger first before you put it up as you won't get round the back to fold them down otherwise. 

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Do you go into the Screwfix branch and pay cash? Or do you order online and collect.

Those ones you linked look about right. Use twisty nails, bend over the top of the timber and down the other side. You might want to put the hangers on the ledger first before you put it up as you won't get round the back to fold them down otherwise. 

Hi Onoff. Did this first up, but order history doesn't go back 2 yrs. It's ok Im taking an offcut in & go into the few places to try find it.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Good idea! Plus saves whacking into ledger once up. 

Am trying to blitz as much as poss in next 3 days.

Found the twisty nails ok. Thx