Zoot wood balcony job.

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

+1

An alternative is to prop the ledger up on some timbers against the wall and drill through it like that. You could pre-drill the ledger on the deck then just spot through when it's propped.

Yes that's the most efficient way, if I can get the right height.

Onoff all my timbers for this, apart from the facia board (8x2  the looker ) are 6x2's.

Do you think Im better also going 8x2 for the ledger? i mean the extra H means then my stud / standoffs spaced wider apart.. would this help stability? Joists from it still 6x2's etc. 

Or maybe a bit odd, & 6x2 is fine. Preferred if so.

Thx zh

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

From the ground, to the nominal underside of the ledger, how high is it?

Could you use a couple of the 6x2s, set at an angle, to prop up the ledger whilst you drill it?

I meant once fixed up, & Ewe 'celebration' underway..

But I think 6x2 might be ok. 8x3 prolly a bit more stable, but more of a sod to haul up.

@Onoff one other question: could you remind me of the fisher resin stuff ? Just looked & many different ones.

I used on my cabin pads to anchor in 10mm studs. I'm sure I used my standard gun. And it was one normal size tube of stuff, I don't recall an extra grey smaller tube that 'mixes in' attatched to it. This is a nozzle that came with it..

516FC514-B779-4D69-9EFD-8B6C0CC00141.jpeg

Someone help me out here, wtf is going on..

My level bubble as expected, centred 1st pic.. then I just turn level upside down, & bubble way off.

Both flat edges clean, no spot of mortar the cause. Level in ok general condition.

Eh?! Frying my noggin.

5D482CAF-3237-4615-BD5D-5017B7B82255.jpeg

38A7953E-D6CF-4108-8953-E14B2EFA4923.jpeg

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

My level bubble as expected, centred 1st pic.. then I just turn level upside down, & bubble way off.

Both flat edges clean, no spot of mortar the cause. Level in ok general condition.

Eh?! Frying my noggin.

vial is only parallel to the bottom face. That’s the one you should always use. 

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

vial is only parallel to the bottom face. That’s the one you should always use. 

Hi there Peter.

So the first pic correct/ discount the 2nd pic way then.. Thank goodness.

Btw whilst you're there: do you recognise this as the stuff suggested & I used on my cabin pads? 

https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-styrene-free-resin/p21098

Thanks, zh

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

it is more than enough …! You don’t need to be using 8x3 for anything on this..!!!

I meant 8x2 apologies.

Im going 8x2 on the facia, so I was wondering if it will help my 7 fixings to make it more stable, if the ledger was 8x2 instead of 6x2.

My (9x) perp joists attatching to the top edge though by metal hangers, will be 6x2.

Thanks, zh

Resin guns...

Traditionally these were the preserve of industry as was resin technology. At one time, even now in some places, the resin came in a glass capsule like a test tube. That contained the resin and hardener, separated until you used it by an internal wall.

maxima.jpg.4188d0d2c1fa73bee3c04a3ce6462b41.jpg

Then you drilled your hole, blew the dust out and popped in the glass phial. You then drove your stud in on a drill that would break the phial and mix the resin, hardener and broken glass up, which would then set around the stud. Think I last used those around 1987!

Then you have resin "guns".

Guns like this that take big, chunky, 380ml+ "oversize" cartridges were common. This I think from memory is a Fischer compatible one. All metal, takes a resin cartridge about 3" diameter:

16597770106801376786512.thumb.jpg.2e8558efdd20949614636522cd437b5d.jpg

I favour my other Fischer one. This is the h.duty plastic bodied gun. You'll note is has two plungers:

1659777155628-829361943.thumb.jpg.dd0c0495f376b1e9856a999d68555233.jpg

16597771852551138393986.thumb.jpg.462dc0b7cd739ce2099c81cf13f34825.jpg

It's used with a special cartridge. The same diameter as a normal "tube of mastic" but with a piggy back tube on. Not cheap, about £16 a tube from Screwfix: 

ae235.jpeg.5194db523cd5bf9f6a6a3bba28103ae3.jpeg

The resin is in the main body, the hardener in the grey tube. As you operate the gun both plungers operate pushing out a controlled amount of each. These enter the nozzle where the plastic screw mixes them. The gun is a pleasure to use.

Of course, the DIY sector wanted access to the technology and they wanted it easy. Thus you can get resin in a standard size tube that goes in a standard gun, like this. The tube is divided internally to contain resin and hardener that only come together when pumped out and mixed.

1659777874030-791327352.thumb.jpg.f95a5a93bc2618183a1902d1b533d5bd.jpg

Whether my Space Shuttle type piggy back Fischer one, or a standard mastic gun one they all take a bigger nozzle with integral, mixing screw. Three different nozzle makes shown:

1659778051862-1279091170.thumb.jpg.4f34e77822c234295be176d753051636.jpg

The DIY ones are OK. A bit harder maybe, to squeeze the gun etc. 

I'd go for a name tbh, something like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fis-vl-300-t-vinylester-resin-300ml/3613x

You might need extra nozzles and a puffer to clean out the holes is an absolute must have. 

Me and a mate were using glass capsules to try and fix angle iron to a wall. We were young and had no idea. The capsules kept falling into the cavity 😂

Went down to the local car spares place and bought a big tub of body filler. Stuffed the holes with scrunched up newspaper then put the studs in with body filler trowelled into the holes. That was 35 years ago and the place/extension is still standing. I remember telling the BCO and him being quite happy.

48 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Eh?! Frying my noggin.

You can check the bubble works by putting the level up the right way and comparing the bubble position as it is, and turning it around front to back and putting it back it the same place as before and the bubble then. If they're the same then everything's fine. 

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Me and a mate were using glass capsules to try and fix angle iron to a wall. We were young and had no idea. The capsules kept falling into the cavity 😂

Went down to the local car spares place and bought a big tub of body filler. Stuffed the holes with scrunched up newspaper then put the studs in with body filler trowelled into the holes. That was 35 years ago and the place/extension is still standing. I remember telling the BCO and him being quite happy.

Good idea that was.

In my case ( thanks for the space gun info etc) I'm just trying to buy the same stuff I did 2 years ago, on my cabin pads. Definitely fischer. Definitely used my std gun/ definitely one standard tube.

Searched my order history but can't be of use to find this purchase.

I've searched both threads. Got to the screwfix link (possibly/ likely the one) but the link now n/a. So is is the same stuff as you linked me to above I wonder? I just don't know.

Can you recall? Or know if this one, is the only suitable for threaded rods?

Thanks, zh

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

You can check the bubble works by putting the level up the right way and comparing the bubble position as it is, and turning it around front to back and putting it back it the same place as before and the bubble then. If they're the same then everything's fine. 

Of course!! Christ I'll get me coat..

Thanks Marvin. But still.. why the dickens wouldn't the bubble be centred simoly flipping it upside-down though?! 

Lord knows. But its doing my head in.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wow, that was a mistake. I went back and read this:

I've now a headache coming on and have just taken two paracetamol.

You have a headache? Mine's worse..

As I said I looked back thru my threads. This one ^ doesn't tell me which fischer stuff anywhere in it ( there's a screwfix link but its now defunct).

I looked thru the cabin basework thread. There it jumps from before the pad's added timber frame xyz.. to after it's done.

Can't do job this wknd now/ too late. Will start afresh monday.

Thanks, zh

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Got the link? May be able to find it still.

No it's defunct. I can't understand this if the one you suggest today, is from screwfix (suggesting yours today is a different one.. or the product number changed which I don't think happens).

Anyhow- Will just go with your link one today then if it says 'for threaded rod'. Thx Onoff

zh

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

No it's defunct.

You misunderstand, post the link if you can. There's ways of finding out. 

I won't ask again, got my own shit to do without going over old ground because you can't remember what you used.

Edited by Onoff