Zoot wood balcony job.

Hi chaps,

I've Planning Permission for a wood balcony, on my 2019 extention. I need to start the job. In retrospect my french windows (doors) would've opened IN & I just add a quick juliet balcony. D'oh! So, I have to continue with the timber balcony idea.

I did a 'prep' design ideas thread, a year ago. Now I need to crack on. I'd really appreciate your help; I'm more adept with timber, & my cabin basework a good prior job giving me confidence. And I hope you too. 

My original design (I have PP for) included outside steps up. This idea shelved/ no steps now. I need to check with BCO that I can do this lesser plan, but assuming logic says I can:-

Job to be based on this local eg: I think, unless anyone disagrees, useful to use this to copy as far as possible. It closely resembles my plan. Less width main difference. And mine in softwood, local one hardwood (?).

Main reference pic here. Thanks for reading, Zoothorn.

26699BEB-8FDC-4F9A-ACBB-3EB456DE030C.jpeg

I will watch this with interest as we too have a "balcony pending" but ours probably won't be done this year.  This years money is being saved up to get the driveway finished and surfaced properly.

The difference in design, is ours, the support pillars (there will only be 2) will be at the mid point of the balcony, not the outer edge, so almost all the weight will be on the pillars and the attachment to the house wall is just to stop it falling over.  And we hope to use glass ballustrades.

Hi ProDave, I'm open to suggestions on the design if you think this one isn't up to par.

I'm going through designs & builds as much as I can to get ideas, clips etc.

One option is to get a pro in, & I know just the guy, to do the " frame".. then I can be left to do the nogs, ballustrades, handrails all else. Or might it be perfectly do-able myself? Not quite sure.

The one hindernce is the render of the extention it'll attatch to. It's " hilly " IE the render has a 'contoured' inny-outy effect. But, thankfully this ^ design attaches along just one top section.. not over whole wall.

Anyway a rough build plan is my goal to start.

Thanks, zh

Edited by zoothorn

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Or might it be perfectly do-able myself?

Definitely 👍, you have proved yourself that with a little advise you are quite capable.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

The one hindernce is the render of the extention it'll attatch to. It's " hilly "

I would fix the wall timber with threaded rod epoxied into the “top of the hills”, and if needed pack out a low bit. I suggest you draw a plan up, post it here and you will get advise on whether it needs amending or not. Crack on sunshine 😎

8 hours ago, joe90 said:

Definitely 👍, you have proved yourself that with a little advise you are quite capable.

I would fix the wall timber with threaded rod epoxied into the “top of the hills”, and if needed pack out a low bit. I suggest you draw a plan up, post it here and you will get advise on whether it needs amending or not. Crack on sunshine 😎

Hi J.. that gives me confidence. Cheers. Yup good idea I'll draw up a plan once researched a bit more.

Got that yellow racer roaring yet?

Zh

Pininfarina.. well well I never knew had any doings to any uk car. I can see the difference this makes, as never once has any mg caught my eye, but yours.. just does. What engine? I think a MG gt-? & 60's by looks of the plate?

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Pininfarina also design the Austin a40 (the later one) 🤯, it’s 1972, 1798cc

Hmm.. from looks of it I think he designed that one when he was drunk. I think the curvy one looks miles better. 

Anyway I mustn't digress, car design could polax my thread!

• Like 1

I have Joe90's idea of beam A here. And some form of a frame here A,B,C,D.. but this doesn't follow the photo eg.

Tbh Im stuck at the first fence! As how could this frame be supported, so it needs 2 pillars before B, C, D.. maybe.

7B020540-A4FF-4236-9A26-1F2BF003A21A.jpeg

Just now, ProDave said:

Ours will be more like 2M depth and 4M wide.

I'm sure it will. I think I might have put in for even 1300mm, being tentative thinking I'm never likely to get PP for it.

43 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How did you get so close to take those photos of the local property? 😉

What length is 1 to 4?

No I didn't trespass.. taken from a very convenient close side road. Anyhow SO obviously a holiday house. I did snooping only yr honour.

@joe90 Dims (firm) are: L 3320mm x W 1250mm

These are what I have PP for; well, what I have PP for is more/ steps too/ like this..

FFDAF3E0-118D-480C-9313-4C79D45854FB.jpeg

I'm sure you've thought of it but won't it affect the view when you are sitting or in bed in that upstairs room? Especially if you have vertical balusters like that? the balustrade height in the drawing you posted just now looks low in proportion to the doors (and compared to the one you have been eyeing up).

Edited by Modernista