Lawful Development Certificates

StanM

Hello,

I have an old stable block which I would like to convert into an annex for friends and family to stay in (not been used for over 15 years).  I searched for what type of planning permission I would need, and saw i could apply for Permitted Development if it wasn't self contained, so I didn't include a kitchen or utility room in the plans.  The size of the stable block would still be the same (50ft x 19ft), the roof, windows and doors would be changed and put in different locations etc.

I then contacted my Local Authority, sent in a plan i'd created.  But they are not providing any pre-planning advice services at the moment due to staffing issues so am a bit stuck.  The only advice they gave me it was OK in principle, but to submit a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) via the Planning Portal. 

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me with some questions please;

1) What are the chances this change would be approved under an LDC?

2) Do you have to have professional plans drawn up?  I've used a 3D package, Google Maps etc.

3) I've looked on the Planning Portal, but I'm not sure what option it would come under. Any ideas?

4) Is there anything else i can't include so my plan will not require full Planning Permission?

5) Anything else i need to consider?

Thank you for any advice in advance :)

Pre planning advise is a waste of money 

You are better with professional drawn plans 

My experience with diy plans is planners keep sending them back for the slightest thing 

Spending on a planning consultant would be the less hassle and more effective route 

+1

And be careful what you say on a public forum.

Stables/Agricultural buildings arent usually within the curtilage of a dwelling so might not have permitted development rights for conversion to residential accommodation. You might need planning permission for "change of use" for the land its on?

However Agricultural buildings can be converted to dwellings under different rules, but only if they have been used for Agricultural purposes. "Not used for 15 years" might disqualify the building. As would a non-agricultural use such as storing lawnmowers or cars. 

So yes best seek professional advice before accidentally spoiling your chances.

The Class Q regulations allow for the change of use and conversion of agricultural building(s) into one or up to five homes, on the holding, which are subject to maximum size limits. The regulations, and supporting government guidance, set out what limited building works can be undertaken to affect the conversion.

The Class Q regulations set out a host of qualifying criteria, conditions, limitations and exclusions. For example, it is important to be able to demonstrate that the building was in use for the purposes of agriculture on an established agricultural holding on 20 March 2013. Other limitations include:

• The external dimensions of the new home(s) cannot extend beyond the footprint of the existing agricultural building that is being converted.
  • The building to be converted should have four walls and roof before conversion so that it can benefit from the building operations provided for in the regulations and be structurally sound so that it can support the weight that comes with conversion.
  • The curtilage of the converted dwelling is very restricted and must not be any more extensive than the curtilage definition set out in the Class Q regulations.
  • The planning authority’s prior approval must be obtained before any development commences.

Ten peneth... Stable units are not under Part Q PD as not agricultural (unless you have the horses ploughing fields). I am replacing my old stable (in Greenbelt ) as a knock down and replace with a new dwelling as is allowed in NPPF. Better to build new than fanny about with conversions which I have previous experience of + you benefit from being able to sell it independently of the main house which you can not do with an annex. 

• 3 months later...
On 06/06/2022 at 18:25, gravelrash said:

Ten peneth... Stable units are not under Part Q PD as not agricultural (unless you have the horses ploughing fields). I am replacing my old stable (in Greenbelt ) as a knock down and replace with a new dwelling as is allowed in NPPF. Better to build new than fanny about with conversions which I have previous experience of + you benefit from being able to sell it independently of the main house which you can not do with an annex. 

Yep, same as my situation. I've received Permission to knock down the stables and outbuildings adjacent to my house, all on the same piece of land. 

Consent received to build a large 1.5 storey house, separate Annexe, stable block/hay barn, 3 car cart lodge. I suppose it also depends on available funds.