Chunks of Block Missing from Doorframe

hammerandnails

Hi all,

I'm replacing some door linings in a 1960s property which is mainly made up of clinker blocks, some of which are quite brittle. When I removed a door lining (held in place by cut nails) a big chunk of one of the blocks came away with it (lesson learnt!). I have some questions on how best to put this right:

1) What is the best way to repair this?

2) Should it be patched up before or after the new door linings go in? Doorlinings will be fit by a professional chippy.

3) Can it be filled with bonding when it gets re-plastered?

Thanks!

(pics attached)

1.png

2.png

3.png

12 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Not a big problem, and an easy enough fix.  I'd get the new linings in first, assuming you can get a decent fix, then just fill in the holes with a stiff mortar mix and plaster over the top.

Nice one, thanks. What ratio mortar mix is recommended?

27 minutes ago, hammerandnails said:

Nice one, thanks. What ratio mortar mix is recommended?

3-4 to 1. Dampen the block and door lining a bit before or else it'll suck all the water out of the mix. You might need a couple layers. If you do, scratch lines in to the first coat before letting it go off and applying the second 

8 hours ago, Conor said:

3-4 to 1. Dampen the block and door lining a bit before or else it'll suck all the water out of the mix. You might need a couple layers. If you do, scratch lines in to the first coat before letting it go off and applying the second 

Cheers Conor