Sunamp accepting granular power from PV diverter

willbish

Not much Sunamp chatter for a while...

Does anyone know if my UniQ eHW 12 will accept little bits of power from a PV diverter?

I have looked at the current range and read the manual for the +iPV model. It talks of using a 4 core cable and permanent live from the PV diverter.

Starting to wonder if Ive bought the wrong box of gloop for my needs as no mention of controlled input power in my manual

I don’t think it will. I have the same model (no PV diverter) and if I’m using solar I wait until I’m producing over 3kW before allowing the Sunamp to charge. If I’m producing less then the PV is topped up by the mains to charge the Sunamp. Having said that I’m charging overnight on Octopus Go these days. 

6 hours ago, willbish said:

Not much Sunamp chatter for a while...

Does anyone know if my UniQ eHW 12 will accept little bits of power from a PV diverter?

I have looked at the current range and read the manual for the +iPV model. It talks of using a 4 core cable and permanent live from the PV diverter.

Starting to wonder if Ive bought the wrong box of gloop for my needs as no mention of controlled input power in my manual

@willbish, do you have a Myenergi Eddie solar diverter connected to your Sunamp?

8 hours ago, willbish said:

No, hasn't been used with any type of diverter yet

The My Energy Eddi was reformatted to work specifically with a SA. 

9 hours ago, willbish said:

Thanks Russ.

I feared that might be case. Another mark against the eejit that spec'd the thing.

I wonder if there's an option to upgrade the controller 😕

The 4 core cable allows L,N &E to be connected from a fused spur eg so it electronica is always ‘alive’. The additional live is for connection to a 20a DP switch which is fed from the Eddi. 
When there is sufficient depletion of the SA, its internal relay will click shut to allow power in from core #4. The Eddi is then the gate which opens and closes to allow input of those sporadic pickets of solar excess when they are detected by the CT clamp. 

There is nothing to upgrade, other than your knowledge. Consider yourself now upgraded. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/06/2022 at 08:17, Nickfromwales said:

https://www.sunamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/D0001-1.2-UniQ-eHW-Heat-Batteries-Installation-and-User-Manual.pdf

Page 26 and 32. 

I found this whilst waiting for my coffee. Took around 45 seconds. 
Was very laborious and difficult, and involved typing 3 whole words on my phone keypad……..

As an update to this, the manual makes no mention of PV diverted power, the second wiring option is for a 24hr timer function only. On/Off and not for granular 'excess' power

Thankfully Sunamp have been very helpful. They acknowledged that i should have had a model that accepts PV through a diverter and have sent me a new controller. The Sunamp now charges top to bottom instead of bottom to top, as such the in and out pipe work has had to be reversed.

Working well now though. 

@ToughButterCup I'd check your installation is ok with Sunamp, they were adamant an eHW should not be connected to a diverter and said it would effect longevity and capacity. Must be the eHW +iPV.

• Like 1