How to solve this….

I have an issue that I hope fellow Hubers have solved before. We removed tiles from a plywood floor and whilst the ply is solid there is a reasonable amount of thin adhesive left. We want to lay carpet (double stick method) over this. Do I:

A) leave it as is and just lay over the top

B) spend hours chipping off all of the remaining adhesive

C) remove ply and re-lay new boards

D) cover with thin (3mm ish as a guess, advice gratefully received!) ply and screw down thoroughly.

Any help/advice/guidance would be great to help solve the issue! 

Thanks!

11D649D5-0431-45DB-8B60-35473197D505.jpeg

40 minutes ago, nod said:

A simple quick Cheap solution Would be to use a self leveling compound to smooth over the adhesive 

+1 to this. Use the proper primer, get the floor “sopping wet” as Uncle Nick always says with a cheap mop and then make up the compound with an extra litre of water per bag. Then let it flow … isn’t that right @Nickfromwales..??

The rapid ones go off in 3 hours ..! Only needs to be 2-3mm thick to cover the worst of it. Block any big holes but small ones are fine - bit of filler if you’re really worried. Toolstation sell the Mapei compound which is good. 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

The rapid ones go off in 3 hours ..! Only needs to be 2-3mm thick to cover the worst of it. Block any big holes but small ones are fine - bit of filler if you’re really worried. Toolstation sell the Mapei compound which is good. 

Is it flexible enough to not crack up with the movement of the wooden substrate?

13 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

I have an issue that I hope fellow Hubers have solved before. We removed tiles from a plywood floor and whilst the ply is solid there is a reasonable amount of thin adhesive left. We want to lay carpet (double stick method) over this. Do I:

A) leave it as is and just lay over the top

B) spend hours chipping off all of the remaining adhesive

C) remove ply and re-lay new boards

D) cover with thin (3mm ish as a guess, advice gratefully received!) ply and screw down thoroughly.

Any help/advice/guidance would be great to help solve the issue! 

Thanks!

I personally would remove the ply and relay with new stuff, but that is me and I just have a slight obsession with things being, as intended or without repair if that makes sense. For example I object to holes in walls being made and patched, I want a full sheet of plasterboard put in place! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/06/2022 at 09:36, Carrerahill said:

I personally would remove the ply and relay with new stuff, but that is me and I just have a slight obsession with things being, as intended or without repair if that makes sense. For example I object to holes in walls being made and patched, I want a full sheet of plasterboard put in place! 

Blimey, that is obsessive.

Edited by Makeitstop

On 01/06/2022 at 09:19, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Is it flexible enough to not crack up with the movement of the wooden substrate?

It's surprisingly flexible. And smells nice IMO ☺️

'Tis what I'd be doing for certain.