Gyproc Sealant - Pointless?

BG show this used all over the place. They recommend it is used around the edge of metal frame, so between frame edge and wall, floor or ceiling soffit (couple of examples below). I'm a bit dubious as you're then putting plasterboard over the top and skimming or taping and jointing which ultimately adds far more material. Am I missing something, or are BG just trying to get more of the value chain?

They say it "Boosts acoustic performance by sealing gaps".

If it is worth putting something there, why not just use caulk or something similar/cheap (Gyproc Sealant >£12/tube, caulk ~£1/tube). I often find I phone up merchants trying to buy parts of a 'system' that it turns out nobody actually bothers with.

image.png.c774f991c95ab0ace27b0c08219e8ff6.png

https://www.british-gypsum.com/products/finishing-products/gyproc-sealant

image.png.6267f95d298ae9553b3c99bcfa5d13a5.png 

image.png.0dc9588e5c65622f1cc98032434e7774.png

https://www.gyproc.ie/knowledge-centre/cad-drawings

Edited by MortarThePoint

10 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

BG show this used all over the place. They recommend it is used around the edge of metal frame, so between frame edge and wall, floor or ceiling soffit (couple of examples below). I'm a bit dubious as you're then putting plasterboard over the top and skimming or taping and jointing which ultimately adds far more material. Am I missing something, or are BG just trying to get more of the value chain?

They say it "Boosts acoustic performance by sealing gaps".

If it is worth putting something there, why not just use caulk or something similar/cheap (Gyproc Sealant >£12/tube, caulk ~£1/tube). I often find I phone up merchants trying to buy parts of a 'system' that it turns out nobody actually bothers with.

image.png.c774f991c95ab0ace27b0c08219e8ff6.png

https://www.british-gypsum.com/products/finishing-products/gyproc-sealant

image.png.6267f95d298ae9553b3c99bcfa5d13a5.png 

image.png.0dc9588e5c65622f1cc98032434e7774.png

https://www.gyproc.ie/knowledge-centre/cad-drawings

Please don’t say that 

I buy at least a couple of thousand tubes of the stuff each year 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, nod said:

Please don’t say that 

I buy at least a couple of thousand tubes of the stuff each year 😂

Thanks nod, good to hear it is used. There's a lot to be said for following the standard recipe. I can appreciate a sealant could help air leakage, but am doubtful about the sound.  Sound can't leak through small gaps like air does due to diffraction. Think of your microwave door with its mesh. Perhaps it helps by acoustic coupling the frame to the background.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

I used to subscribe to Popular Science and get it sent every month. Then some thing happened and they stopped the subscription service for overseas (9/11?). 

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

Sound can't leak through small gaps like air does due to diffraction. Think of your microwave door with its mesh.

Umm, electromagnetic waves are very different to sound waves. Sound is pressure pulses and absolutely will sneak through tiny gaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

Thanks nod, good to hear it is used. There's a lot to be said for following the standard recipe. I can appreciate a sealant could help air leakage, but am doubtful about the sound.  Sound can't leak through small gaps like air does due to diffraction. Think of your microwave door with its mesh. Perhaps it helps by acoustic coupling the frame to the background.

It’s probably the most photographed item on my phone Said but true 

All commercial and often housing associations 
Price sounds high 

I think we are around a fiver a sausage Buying by the box 

ABA95B7D-5E63-4D8D-88B0-FFCD871677AF.jpeg

2 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

Sound can't leak through small gaps like air does due to diffraction

It absolutely can, and is often the reasoned efforts to provide soundproofing are so significantly undermined due to poor detailing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nod said:

It’s probably the most photographed item on my phone Said but true 

All commercial and often housing associations 
Price sounds high 

I think we are around a fiver a sausage Buying by the box 

ABA95B7D-5E63-4D8D-88B0-FFCD871677AF.jpeg

And your photo has just reminded me that I forgot to tape a couple of duct joints before I fitted some kitchen cupboards and splashback! Thanks

10 minutes ago, SimonD said:

And your photo has just reminded me that I forgot to tape a couple of duct joints before I fitted some kitchen cupboards and splashback! Thanks

The photo shows one of our housing association jobs Far superior to homes that we do at a million pound plus Drop ceilings under all first floor ceilings 

7 minutes ago, nod said:

The photo shows one of our housing association jobs Far superior to homes that we do at a million pound plus Drop ceilings under all first floor ceilings 

That's good to know. Hopefully they can all build more of them as we surely need them.

4 minutes ago, SimonD said:

That's good to know. Hopefully they can all build more of them as we surely need them.

The downside is they are often in rotten areas 

We recently witnessed a young lad knocked off his motorcycle outside the job

I ran to help him and two guys with knives jumped out of the car Threatening me Then proceeded to stab the injured lad 

The site was shut down for four days as a potential murder scene 

Not a nice place to live 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, nod said:

The downside is they are often in rotten areas 

We recently witnessed a young lad knocked off his motorcycle outside the job

I ran to help him and two guys with knives jumped out of the car Threatening me Then proceeded to stab the injured lad 

The site was shut down for four days as a potential murder scene 

Not a nice place to live 

Happened in Penzance a couple of weeks back. Range Rover turns up, lad gets out with machete, slashed a couple of local dealers, then runs away. Then the range Rover driver drives off. Not the brightest of revenge attacks as the security cameras are on that bit of road as it is a holiday route.