Carport

Hi 

Looking for advice on creating a carport, I have a driveway that runs between my property and my neighbours.
The neighbours have, at some point, built a 2-storey extension on the property line. This means that the space available to park is big enough but would be very tight if I needed to have some form of columns built to support a roof.

Is it possible to affix a pitched roof from my house across to the neighbours house and support in that way? Ie no “foot print” as such just supported by the wall fixings on either side?

Thanks for any advice

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Surely a slim pillar at the front and back would be okay?

Scaffold poles? (I used these once fir a carport, welded a plate on the bottom to bolt to the concrete floor).

There is a section of my property at the back of the driveway, so if it was attached to next doors it would be supported on three sides.

I haven’t looked too far into this yet but as I understand it because they have built on the boundary a boundary wall agreement should be in place and that would allow me to fix to their property, I think.

At this point it’s more wether it is structurally possible for example the pitch would have lead on the apex and where it connects to my annex at the rear, but I have no idea how you would lead the bottom or even if you would lead the bottom etc

8 hours ago, Hills_90 said:

At this point it’s more wether it is structurally possible for example the pitch would have lead on the apex and where it connects to my annex at the rear, but I have no idea how you would lead the bottom or even if you would lead the bottom etc

No lead at the bottom, Just a gutter to stop water splashing onto neighbours wall.

You won't have any "rights" to attach to their wall if it's THEIR wall. If it's ON the boundary (i.e. the boundary runs down the middle of the wall rather than alongside the outer face of it), then it's a shared wall and then it's a different kettle of fish.

I would always try to do a flat roof running down the length of the drive so there is no gutter/valley against either your or their house walls.

If the face of the wall is on the boundary, then it ix very likely that the footing runs onto your ground.

Tgey should not have a gutter or anything overhanging, and the roof should not shed water your way.

You can build the equivalent wall, or post etc hard against theirs. On or adding to the same footings is getting tricky though.

As ProDave says, a photo or sketch would help, if you don't mind being potentially identifiable.

Thanks for all your replies a picture does paint a thousand words

so here we go;

The building on the right is mine and the neighbours is obviously left, the small extension to the back was built many years ago and is my utility. The neighbours extension is built on the boundary so it would be a party wall.

My initial thought was to basically extend the small pitched roof at the back all the way forwards, allowing it to be fixed to my building, my small extension and to the neighbours property.

However a vent, maybe flue, from the neighbours side would be in the way so it would need to be lower but I thought following the pitch would be more aesthetically pleasing. There are also many guttering overhangs on their property to mine, and they leak frequently!

AD4F4F05-1AD8-4335-B67B-DDDD0F9A1DA1.jpeg

Messy. if the boundary is actually the face of their wall then their gutters, provably foundations are on your land, also their extract fan venting onto your land.

If the boundary is perhaps 150mm or 300 outside their extension then not so awkward.

I you are friendly with the neighbours then it could be readily resolved... but there would be implications for them too.  Eg if you built up to their extract fan then it would be useless and they would have  to divert it.

If not, then it could get legal.

I know where the boundary is as I have the original plans from 1935 my house was only the second built on the road and the plans are scaled.

The extension is smack bang on the boundary. I don’t see it being a massive issue as they don’t own the house anyway, it’s being rented to them by my former neighbour. So I’m sure as long as it is all done correctly they will be fine.

As said really the issue is if I have to build/use some form of pillars it will make the space too narrow to be a carport, so it’s really knowing if it is even technically possible from a construction point of view 

As @joe90 says, a cantilever supported solely on your side has to be the best option. Gutter can be built into the structure so no leading or other flashing required on the neighbours wall. No pillars or post to get in the way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markc said:

As @joe90 says, a cantilever supported solely on your side has to be the best option. Gutter can be built into the structure so no leading or other flashing required on the neighbours wall. No pillars or post to get in the way.

I can see that would be the easier way I was just thinking in advance, at the moment it will just be a car port but eventually it might end up being a garage.

if it already spans the gap then a conversion would be easier, if a cantilever is there then I would have to remove it to build the garage.

Although if it’s not possible then cantilever it is!

I have had one this morning they are quite happy in principle, they would just like a heads up with a drainage plan before the agree just so they know there will be no water damage etc.

Which is fair enough

Would it be possible to pitch down to their wall and put some kind of small lead gulley at the lower end leading to a guttering on the face?

1 hour ago, Hills_90 said:

Would it be possible to pitch down to their wall and put some kind of small lead gulley at the lower end leading to a guttering on the face?

No.

Think in terms of a completely free standing cantilevered car port supported entirely on your house wall and sloping away from your house.  That would have a normal gutter at the left hand edge to collect the rainwater and you would pipe it to some form of drain at the front or the back of the run of gutter.

Now just make that so the width is such that the outer edge of your gutter almost, but not quite, touches next doors wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hills_90 said:

In theory you might be able to do that but I would avoid at all costs. It wouldn't be a simple lead flashing. It would need to be a proper lead lined box gutter. The lead would be cut into their wall. The ends have to be designed to carry water away to a down pipe etc. They are prone to leaking if not designed and constructed right. 

Much simpler to go with the freestanding cantilevered car port that @ProDave suggested. 

It also allows you to call your house detached or semi rather than link detached or terrace when you come to sell.

14 hours ago, Hills_90 said:

so it’s really knowing if it is even technically possible from a construction point of view 

Yes is the answer (imo) if the owner is happy, the boundary is messy yes with overhanging gutters/footings/window cills etc. If you wanted to turn it onto a garage I think, from the picture their vent is beyond your lean too extension door so presumably not within your garage if you removed that gate and put a door level with your other door!. If I was considering this I would build a fibreglass box gutter and lead flashing into their wall (if they are agreeable).