Existing Foundations

richo106

We are adding another floor to our existing bungalow and having a front double extension. I exposed our footings and they are 400mm deep (brickwork) sat on 200mm deep and 600mm wide slab.

The overhang on the foundations (that I exposed) are between 120-160mm which the SE is happy with and they did all the design calcs/drawings based on that.

However I exposed another area of foundation that only has 40mm over hang externally and 340mm internally so the brickwork is close to the edge of it. This wall will become an internal wall do people think this could be an issue?

On the attached drawing the 3 red crosses have the 120-160mm overhang and the 1 green one has the 40mm overhang. The blue lines indicate where our new footings/pads will be going 

would people check the footings elsewhere? Or is it reasonable enough the footings are ok as the SE gave me the ok by just exposing when area. 

Are there more important areas to double check? Like corners etc?

any advice/ information would be greatly appreciated 

thanks again

84ACE544-B2B1-45EB-ABCE-E2D7BE46FB45.jpeg

You need an answer from a competent professional with experience of having done the same kind of thing.

Find an SE with experience of adding another floor to a house..... Has yours got that sort of experience? I ask because not all SEs have the same experience - and I've suffered from one who over-specified because he didn't understand the product we were talking about. He just went by 'the book'