Planning application decision overdue

pilgrim

Does anyone have any good ideas for how I can politely tell the planning officer to hurry up and do their job?

My planning permission decision is now more than 2 weeks overdue, I wrote to the officer last week and asked if there was a problem and when I could expect to hear from them. I have not heard anything back. It is for a rear extension and a dropped kerb, not a big complex application.

Obviously I do not want to tell them what I really think as I do still want them to grant me permission! From what I have read online my only option is to appeal to the Secretary of State as they have taken a lot longer than the 8 week period, but this will take several months. 

I am planning on calling the officer tomorrow to try and get some answers as to what is going on with it.

Calm down. They are normally really slow.  As you wrote to them last week, leave it until Friday to speak to them.  The appeal route is a non-starter.  They can string you along for months if they want to.  Rear extension is normally PD.  Are you doing anything lairy?  If not, just be polite and bide your time.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Calm down. They are normally really slow.  As you wrote to them last week, leave it until Friday to speak to them.  The appeal route is a non-starter.  They can string you along for months if they want to.  Rear extension is normally PD.  Are you doing anything lairy?  If not, just be polite and bide your time.

Plus 1

It would be very easy for the planners to take the hump 

and give you a quick NO

10 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Yeah I know it is just frustrating that I have had to pay the council a lot of money over the last year and they dont reply to me. No nothing lairy, it is just the dropped kerb that meant I had to apply for full planning so I decided to make the rear extension bigger than would be allowed under PD to see if that would be acceptable, as it wont cost me much more to make it bigger and will give me a better layout.

9 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Are you the applicant, agent or both?

I am both

Well I finally managed to get in touch with the planning officer today, it turns out they are working from home and do not have mobile signal on their work phone while at home! Genius.

They say the hold up is with the highways department which is operated by a different council, they have said they need more information but have not said what the additional information is. Highways asked for more information right at the start of the process and have received all of the information that they requested then. I have written to them asking (politely) if they could tell me what additional information they need, I tried calling but they are all working from home as well....

Why it has taken 12 weeks for them to decide they need more information is anyones guess but so it goes...

Edited by pilgrim
clarification

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been 6 weeks now and still they refuse to talk to me about what the delay is with making a decision. They first saw the plans back in November and my pre planning application was approved... 

I guess I will just keep waiting! 

1 hour ago, CharlieKLP said:

When did you put the application in, did you agree an extension?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/determining-a-planning-application

it says you can get your money back, though I’ve never seen that be successful.

hmm interesting, I guess if they refunded me they would just refuse / withdraw the application though. 

No I havent agreed to or even been offered an extension on the decision

It is just so frustrating that no one will tell me why there is such a huge delay on a simple application that they have already said is ok at the pre application stage.

Edited by pilgrim
clarification