Your chosen flatroof finish and why?

Makeitstop

It was EPDM or GRP for me 

I had absolutely no experience of either 

I went for GRP as I felt the finish was more forgiving to the inexperienced applier Absolutely bombproof and easy to apply

E9D52F62-A4FD-4C24-AE14-A21A30D9782E.jpeg

We had single-ply membrane on our flat roofs which are green roofs. Was recommended it over GRP as we’ve got a timber frame and it survives the movement of the TF better. Had 3 different roofers say the same thing. 

13 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

We had single-ply membrane on our flat roofs which are green roofs. Was recommended it over GRP as we’ve got a timber frame and it survives the movement of the TF better. Had 3 different roofers say the same thing. 

Do you recall the product name Thorfun?

I have been told that siltec is a good product, but know nothing of it. I have a significant issue in buying into anything I'm told is a great product, if I'm being told it by someone that stands to profit from me believing it.

Cynical maybe but for me, trust has to be earnt.

I'm unsure of what product to use on a job.

Approx 6.5 m x 3.5 m flatroof with large rooflight. 

Used EDPM on several flat roofs. Like the fact that it comes in one piece for the whole roof (assuming the shape isn't too complicated). Installed about 10 so far including on our last 2 houses. 

20210530_133556.thumb.jpg.fad386ea1ec043d27b1b56c025c85191.jpg

7 hours ago, Makeitstop said:

Do you recall the product name Thorfun?

I have been told that siltec is a good product, but know nothing of it. I have a significant issue in buying into anything I'm told is a great product, if I'm being told it by someone that stands to profit from me believing it.

Cynical maybe but for me, trust has to be earnt.

I'm unsure of what product to use on a job.

Approx 6.5 m x 3.5 m flatroof with large rooflight. 

it was Alwitra VSK https://www.icb.uk.com/products/waterproofing/alwitra-single-ply-membranes/evalon-vsk. I had it installed by a roofing company and that was their product of choice

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the Alwitra product above.

On the epdm, I like the idea of that but am less confident about the detailing around rooflight. On roof with no penetration, I'm sure it's a good choice and has less potential for issues with seams.

6 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Our roof is at a 12 degree angle, we used EPDM (Sarnafil) which has all seams hot air welded.

Thanks.

Does it have any penetrations for rooflight etc.?

If it weren't for rooflight, I think I'd feel more confident with epdm or pvc

We have a Resitrix membrane.

The product itself is excellent quality - tough as boots and feels like it should wear a long time. We had some installer issues though, as described in tedious detail on BuildHub a few years back.

Its interesting to see the varying opinions on this, which somewhat mirrors what can be found online.

As you've experienced Jack, its maybe the installer more than the product itself that is the critical element.

For me, I can't help thinking grp might be the better choice if there are penetrations to the deck, although I'm open to being convinced otherwise if the argument is compelling enough.

On 19/05/2022 at 23:54, Makeitstop said:

@ Conor, how long has that been on?

It's the seaming that makes me nervous about these PVC products.

I'm probably overthinking it.

Only 6months or so. It seems really tough and there is a 20 year guarantee. It's on a dormer 2.5 stories up.... Really hope there's never a problem as would be a nightmare to get to and work on.