Dishwasher stopped heating

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that our dishwasher water was running cold. I have been through all the reset options, no joy. Next step I assume is to check the heating element and heat pump. Quote for an engineer was a bit high so wanted to try to diagnose myself first. I’ve got a multimeter so hoping to get an idea by using that, but this is the first time I’ve done it so glad of any advice.

On a related note, the way it is plumbed in isn’t great as the previous occupants didn’t have one and so we need to make do. Should the drain hose be fixed quite high, as in as it comes from the bottom of the dishwasher should it go up higher to run it across to the sink plumbing? We get water pooling in the bottom of the washer when it isn’t on and it is my assumption that is because water running down the sink drain goes into the washer drain hose and back to the appliance. Likelihood is because the hose isn’t long enough so any easy fix to get a new, longer one.

It is a Beko DIN29X20 appliance.

Advice appreciated. Let me know if you need any more info from me in order to help.

Edited by AdamD

A simple resistance check with a multimeter will confirm if the heating element is okay or not.

It is normal for the drain hose to run high up the sink unit and then down to the drain point, this should stop syphoning of the drain water.  Does it always empty fully then somehow refill slightly over a period of time?

• Like 1

Re. the draining. My dishwasher has a good 2m drain pipe run along the floor, up the back of the sink unit and into the sink plumbing, and doesn't retain any water (also a Beko), but it does go up and over, meaning that other water would never be able to enter the pipe, never had any issues so far. If everything is downhill on yours, then yes, get a pipe extension and make sure that a bit is uphill to stop it flowing the wrong way from the sink

Some/many(?) dishwashers have a heating element printed onto the outside of a metal tube. When the inside gets scaled up this increases  the thermal resistance between the heating element and the water eg the water doesn't remove heat from the element fast enough. When this happens the element can overheat and burn out. Usually happens at the bottom where the scale is thicker. Happened twice on our Bosch. Very visible once you have it out of the machine.

Annoyingly on the Bosch you have to buy a pump assembly as they only sell it as a complete unit, I can't just buy the tube and element.

We now put a bottle of white vinegar in it every week to try and stop the scale forming. You have to put it in after the machine does its initial pump out or the vinegar will also get pumped straight out. Can be a normal wash

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

A simple resistance check with a multimeter will confirm if the heating element is okay or not.

It is normal for the drain hose to run high up the sink unit and then down to the drain point, this should stop syphoning of the drain water.  Does it always empty fully then somehow refill slightly over a period of time?

How would you test the resistance? Do I need to take it out and get into the nuts and bolts of the inside?

Yes exactly that, empties fully and then refills over time.

Normally you can get to the terminals of the heating element from the back to check it without removing it.

Try re positioning the hose so it goes up from the machine to a high point then back down to the drain connection.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Normally you can get to the terminals of the heating element from the back to check it without removing it.

Try re positioning the hose so it goes up from the machine to a high point then back down to the drain connection.

Problem is when I move the dishwasher out the drain hose runs out of flex so can only take it part way (definitely need a longer hose). Presumably I can test the terminals with the hose disconnected?

Took the thing apart to see what is what and haven’t a clue if I’m honest. Can’t even see how to remove parts. Here are some pictures, help appreciated. I’m very much a novice here!

B0FC93E2-E2D1-4295-B5EA-65CCD0F1D7E1.jpeg

F048F3DF-0AD9-44EF-87E9-A1F89761FF74.jpeg

78003E91-66DF-4B71-8F2E-BBAD8F321936.jpeg

F8232AD9-E13F-4889-B44B-92067F7C1E1A.jpeg

Those are all views looking up from underneath (I assume it is laid on it's side)

I would expect the heater connections to be low down on the back of the unit so try photographing that?

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Those are all views looking up from underneath (I assume it is laid on it's side)

I would expect the heater connections to be low down on the back of the unit so try photographing that?

No obvious way of removing the back. Everything I’ve read suggests go from the bottom 

01779E42-6F3D-4089-85F6-E37525D541AC.jpeg

Open the front and look inside, you see the heater snaking it's way around right on the floor of the machine inside. You should be able to see where it exits usually at the back. That is where you want to be looking on the outside (from underneath perhaps then) to find the terminals.

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Open the front and look inside, you see the heater snaking it's way around right on the floor of the machine inside.

Not on the Beko - it is a combined heater and pump unit. @AdamD they are £130 plus an engineer to fit so you would be cheaper buying a new dishwasher and run a fortnightly cleaner / descaler through it 

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1784148/dishwasher-heater-pump-motor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not on the Beko - it is a combined heater and pump unit. @AdamD they are £130 plus an engineer to fit so you would be cheaper buying a new dishwasher and run a fortnightly cleaner / descaler through it 

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1784148/dishwasher-heater-pump-motor

Looking like it may be worth a new one. Can get 27% off hot point so really considering that option. I hate this throwaway world but if I replace this and in 6 months something else goes I’ll kick myself.

Are they particularly difficult to fit? I won’t be paying someone to do it as that’ll be another £80 so absolutely not cost effective.

14 hours ago, AdamD said:

Took the thing apart to see what is what and haven’t a clue if I’m honest. Can’t even see how to remove parts. Here are some pictures, help appreciated. I’m very much a novice here!

78003E91-66DF-4B71-8F2E-BBAD8F321936.jpeg

That's the one - it's a combined heater and pump.

Take a look at this out-of-unit photo:

tnnbkviy637006001316225958.JPG

Remove the plug connected to the white-shrouded terminals towards the front-right and measure the resistance between the terminals with a multimeter (or measure directly on the element front-left. I'd expect it to read around 10-15 ohms if working. Chances are its fine and its the switching relay that's gone.

Don't give up - you've done the hard bit!

• Thanks 1