Hockey stick in cavity over KORE slab?

Mr Blobby

House construction is block cavity on KORE insulated slab. Like this:

image.thumb.png.1c581828d725d53dc274b550d0893b78.png

NIE insist on a Permali box.  Convention here is to have a hockey stick in the cavity.  Which just seems wrong.  Is it wrong to have hockey sticks in the cavity? 

Would the alternative, external cables from permali box into the ground, be problematic because of the external ring beam below the permali box?  Or is this not a problem?

13 hours ago, nod said:

Inside or outside is normal here

Ive never seen a hockey stick built in to the cavity

I know, it seems bonkers.  My M and E people have specified the supply cable to run up inside the cavity into a recessed box.  Here's the NIE directions:

image.thumb.png.efa33196802c81bb168001d2a72328ce.png

image.thumb.png.b44aec0061140ea172ae18f179cc43f8.png

NIE allow for a surface mounted meter box where it is not possible to run the cable inside the cavity.

Should I push for a surface mounted box with external cable run up the walls inside the protective conduit? 

Edited by Mr Blobby

37 minutes ago, Conor said:

You can run external cables, just need to use shielding. Dont look pretty tho.

I assume you chased yours into the wall?

My meter is on "hidden" side of the house so looks not too important

Edited by Mr Blobby

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

I know, it seems bonkers.  My M and E people have specified the supply cable to run up inside the cavity into a recessed box.  Here's the NIE directions:

image.thumb.png.efa33196802c81bb168001d2a72328ce.png

image.thumb.png.b44aec0061140ea172ae18f179cc43f8.png

NIE allow for a surface mounted meter box where it is not possible to run the cable inside the cavity.

Should I push for a surface mounted box with external cable run up the walls inside the protective conduit? 

I’m obviously missing something 

Why would you want to go to the trouble of building a hockey stick into a cavity 

Just tell them it’s a stupid idea 

We put the meter box on the garage and ducted the house supply from there to avoid this faff. 

An estate of ICF newbuilds near me have the meter box on a stand alone wall adjacent the house.

In essence the ESB ( Republic of Ireland Electricity Supply Board) were happy so long as the meter box was adequately accessable and protected.

Speak to NIE and ask. 

8 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I assume you chased yours into the wall?

My meter is on "hidden" side of the house so looks not too important

Yes, mine is in the wall. Still used the hockey stick tho.

A fully recessed box may be ok for power but you can only have semi recessed for gas if you are connected.  They won't even let you screw the box to the facing brick.

• 1 month later...
On 20/05/2022 at 00:28, Iceverge said:

We put the meter box on the garage and ducted the house supply from there to avoid this faff. 

An estate of ICF newbuilds near me have the meter box on a stand alone wall adjacent the house.

In essence the ESB ( Republic of Ireland Electricity Supply Board) were happy so long as the meter box was adequately accessable and protected.

Speak to NIE and ask. 

Thanks for this, an obvious (now that you have told me) way to avoid a crappy hockey stick and meter box in the cavity. 

After speaking with NIE, they said no to an external meter box which I was surprised about.  And of course they don't allow kiosks.

So the plan is (and NIE's standard advice it seems!) to build an extra leaf of block on the side of the house and outside the insulated foundation at about 1500 wide by 1500 high and about 400 deep.  The permali box will be recessed into this. 

• Like 1