Will this super small bathroom layout work?

I have managed to squeeze a 1600 x 700mm bath and 1000 x 700mm shower side by side in this extremely small bathroom.

I want the shower tray to be flush to the floor so was looking at a bettefloor shower tray. My main issue is I can not make this a wet room due to the proximity of the bathroom door which would get damaged by water splashing.

To prevent water splashing when taking a shower I would have a glass panel over the bath and a bifold shower door. The shower door would rest along the back wall making the shower totally open allowing easier access to the sink. You can see the bottom two images are the type of door I am after however this particular door seems to need a bottom rail which is not what I want. I want the threshold between the shower tray and the floor to be seamless to allow your foot to not be impeded while standing at the sink. I understand there would be a small gap between the shower door and floor but I was thinking of fitting a rubber bottom to the glass which would seal the gap and I could slide with the door into the wall.

Will my idea work?

image.thumb.png.6aebb90b47d29c7dbfef79ece028170d.png

012e0053b4f47b8513a06d28fd198cee.png

hpk_04_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1585702506hpk_06_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1585702506

Edited by Dan_the_man

Make the floor a wet room and use a wet room former, then a pair of hinged glass shower doors to stop water splashing very far.

A bit like what i did 

shower_screens.thumb.jpg.78c233050c9bed1cbe2acbdafc4645b4.jpg

That's a pair of glass hinged screens intended to go on the top of a bath, but used as shower screens, set about 100mm above the floor.  Not much splashes over and not much splashes under.  They are there to stop the wooden towel storage and vanity unit getting wet and I am sure that is closer than your bathroom door is to the shower.

When not in use as a shower, the screens fold flat against the wall leaving the room open.

• Like 1

That seems like an excellent idea. I guess if I am placing my shower head centrally in the ceiling would the gap you have between the doors have not let splashes out still?

I would only be able to make the door 650mm wide to allow it to fold against the wall, the tray is only 700mm deep. This would leave a gap of 350mm, what is your gap?

Edited by Dan_the_man

3 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Do you really need the bath? 

I think this will feel really tight. 

This is a neighbours bathroom. They still have the tightness issue with the sink and toilet being so close to the bath. I have a slightly longer bathroom as I am making the cupboard for the gas smaller than theirs.

d.thumb.jpg.333b73eaa47644547aeb1a7a43fcff70.jpg

48 minutes ago, Dan_the_man said:

That seems like an excellent idea. I guess if I am placing my shower head centrally in the ceiling would the gap you have between the doors have not let splashes out still?

I would only be able to make the door 650mm wide to allow it to fold against the wall, the tray is only 700mm deep. This would leave a gap of 350mm, what is your gap?

We have a rainfall head that drops water vertically in the middle of the shower space, and a normal rose on a riser rail in the middle of the short wall of the shower.  The shower area is 900mm by 1200mm and the shower screens are both 700mm wide that leaves a 300mm gap at the corner.  Not very much splashes out or very far through that.

These were shower screens from B&Q.  These were cheap and readiliy available.  The alternative if we really wanted taller and wider would be buy bespoke glass from a glass supplier specifying dimensions and holes etc and attach the hinges ourselves.  We too the cheap and easy option and they do the job well.  Oddly enough these glass screens seem to get dreadful reviews, but the issue with them is when used above a bath, the rubber strip that comes with them is very poor at actually sealing water.  but we don't use them like that and don't even use the silly rubber strip so they work well.

48 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Can you move the wall to make more space in that case? 

No room to move any walls unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

This would make a great shower room.  You could have the basin in the recess on the left and an 800 x 1300 shower on the right.  Plenty of space.  Very cramped with the bath.

I am struggling to see where it would be cramped at. With the shower screens folded away there should be ample room. The toilet beside the bath is not so bad as your arms are higher than the bath.

16 minutes ago, Dan_the_man said:

I am struggling to see where it would be cramped at. With the shower screens folded away there should be ample room. The toilet beside the bath is not so bad as your arms are higher than the bath.

Check your building regs, e.g. if this was supposed to be an accessible bathroom in Scotland it would fail most of the "activity spaces"

10 minutes ago, Dan_the_man said:

I am struggling to see where it would be cramped at

I suppose it depends on the size of the users. If it's predominantly childeren or smaller adults it'll be ok. 

I did some measuring drawing up our place. A toilet needs about 800mm between the walls for "knee space" minimum in my opinion, 1000mm is better. Make a mock up of the situation with 2 chairs  ( one as a toilet and one at 90deg as the bathtub and a wall and see what feels comfortable. 

I've just cajoled my Mrs into the WC with a measuring tape and she was happy with 550mm kneespace.

If I did that my lap would be full of wee after a number 2! 

19 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I suppose it depends on the size of the users. If it's predominantly childeren or smaller adults it'll be ok. 

I did some measuring drawing up our place. A toilet needs about 800mm between the walls for "knee space" minimum in my opinion, 1000mm is better. Make a mock up of the situation with 2 chairs  ( one as a toilet and one at 90deg as the bathtub and a wall and see what feels comfortable. 

I've just cajoled my Mrs into the WC with a measuring tape and she was happy with 550mm kneespace.

If I did that my lap would be full of wee after a number 2! 

The photo I shared of a neighbours property has exactly the same issue with the toilet next to the bath. He is 6 foot 6 and seems to have no issues using the toilet. One thing to point out is that he is slim build. If the toilet was against two walls it would certainty be an issue I agree but having the low bath helps I feel.

From research it seems, The space around the toilet should be at least 760mm, with at least 510mm in front. My space around the toilet falls short by 135mm. I do agree with you knee space is cramped.

Edited by Dan_the_man

Have you ever sat in a 1600 by 700 bath. Unless you are under 5’7” and very slim, it is going to be rather uncomfortable. I would either have a generous shower room, or make an 1800 x 750 bath and put a shower in it.

13 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Have you ever sat in a 1600 by 700 bath. Unless you are under 5’7” and very slim, it is going to be rather uncomfortable. I would either have a generous shower room, or make an 1800 x 750 bath and put a shower in it.

A standard sized uk bath is 1700 x 700. I guess I could increase the length of the bath an extra 100mm at the expensive of the shower.

Edited by Dan_the_man

you could try a corner bath where you've put the shower currently,  and the basin farther along the long wall. A corner bath makes for an expansive deep shower tray...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/laguna-corner-shower-bath-with-screen-panel?campaign=googlebase&pagetype=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ZeUBhDyARIsAOzAqQLkYDnw4MHtv6EZ_RwTgQxbrzF5g0GE7yzSuxCatyBufDe6j6DLTCsaAtW1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

6 hours ago, dpmiller said:

you could try a corner bath where you've put the shower currently,  and the basin farther along the long wall. A corner bath makes for an expansive deep shower tray...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/laguna-corner-shower-bath-with-screen-panel?campaign=googlebase&pagetype=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ZeUBhDyARIsAOzAqQLkYDnw4MHtv6EZ_RwTgQxbrzF5g0GE7yzSuxCatyBufDe6j6DLTCsaAtW1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good idea, something I will explore. I saw this and fell in love. It is only 1300 long but surely because its so deep it would be pretty comfortable to sit in?

Also below a good idea for the shower curtain hung above, but I guess it would get dirty very easily.

Chatsworth 1300 Short Roll Top Bath

Apollo Bath with Effusio over-bath shower