Hello. I have a question about planning permission for garage conversion.

joemdt

Hello all. We have a planning application submitted to convert our detached garage to an annexe for my dad to move into. Our neighbours have objected. Can someone have a look and let me know of I should be worried about getting approval based on it? Their objection don't really feel relevant, but wanted some advice.

22/01125/FUL

https://apps.stratford.gov.uk/eplanning/AppDetail.aspx?appkey=RA6EWPPMIWF00

• Like 1

Welcome to Buildhub.

Many of the objections are irrelevant. The question is whether the application meets planning requirements, not whether there's a "better" (according to your neighbour!) way of doing it. Things like drainage and insulation are covered by building regulations, which happen after planning is approved.

In general, it's extremely unusual for a single neighbour objection to have any impact on a planning application. Objections can only be taken into account if they raise valid planning objections, and the planners should already be taking those into account.

They can have an impact if the neighbour is able to see an issue that isn't apparent from the planning application (eg, a breach of the 45 degree guideline). I don't know whether any of the objections here would fall under that heading.

17 minutes ago, joemdt said:

Our neighbours have objected. Can someone have a look and let me know of I should be worried about getting approval based on it?

Firstly welcome! 

You are understandably concerned. There's nowt like a Planning Application to flush out what people really think - as opposed to what they say to your face. You are in very good company here. At a guess I'd say many of us have had the same issue to deal with. Objections to Planning Apps are nothing new to us or indeed to planners. The vast majority of objections are made on what's called in planning terms 'Non-Material'  grounds: they are not relevant to the application. You and I would call the grounds:  Nonsense . 

I have looked at the objections offered;

• Re: 1 - I think that the Planners can write a condition require the garage to return to its original use when it's no longer required. But I'm not certain.
  • Re 2: make sure the view from the windows is obscured in some way
  • Re 3: non-material consideration (irrelevant)
  • Re 4: non-material consideration  ----- " -----

There may be other considerations which are  material  but we have missed them ......

I'd say your concerns in relation to the objections as stated , while understandable, are unfounded.

To lighten the mood a bit, have a read of this ...... yes I was livid at the time I wrote it. The post contains links which should be helpful.

On balance, I'd file the objection to your application (referred to in your post) in the waste bin.

Ian

• Like 1

Planning objections are comedy gold.

Do they really think that the planning officer would meet with them to discuss change of use of a garage!

I agree with the other comments here. The only other thing I would note is that the door to the north side and the gate/ separate garden area suggest that this has been designed to be totally separate accommodation with its own garden. I think that would raise the concern that it is to be rented out at some point in the future. Of course your neighbour has not mentioned this and planning may or may not think of this.

I don't consider the overlooking relevant. They don't say you will overlook them, they say they will overlook you. If you don't mind this then it is not an issue. Generally if you are at ground level issues of overlooking are not an issue, assuming that there is a fence or hedge between the gardens. It may be worth noting this on the plans.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful and reassuring.

Re 1: it seems ridiculous to have a clause requiring it to be returned to 'garage use' when it is no longer required by my dad. Firstly we would have spent a lot of money converting it to an annexe, could it really be expected that we spend more money turning it into a garage? Plus who is to say another relative might need it by that point. Plus we would never be able to sell the house if the expectation was that it was converted to a garage?

Re 2: it is their window that looks down on our garden. I don't see what difference garage/annexe makes as, whilst we don't at the moment, there is nothing stopping us using that part of the garden as a seating area now?

Does this makes sense? Do you jave any further thoughts.

1 minute ago, AliG said:

I agree with the other comments here. The only other thing I would note is that the door to the north side and the gate/ separate garden area suggest that this has been designed to be totally separate accommodation with its own garden. I think that would raise the concern that it is to be rented out at some point in the future. Of course your neighbour has not mentioned this and planning may or may not think of this.

Thank you. The door and 'garden area' in the plans are so he can have a seat outside and a bit of privacy, so he can have a bit of independence, and we aren't on top of each other. Removing that door and just having the front door wouldn't, in theory, stop it from being rented out in future. I don't see how you could have a design that would guarantee that?

Hello and welcome .

I’d say (expletive deleted) your neighbors for starters . They are going to hate you anyway ; so don’t worry about that .

I see opportunity here . Trust me 😁 ; a garage can become a house . I’d certainly go for change of use . Forget any rules for changing back . At a later date you then have an established footprint for a dwelling.

Don’t concede to get what you want at the prospect of future opportunities! . Slowly , slowly , creepy monkey ….

A future independent house is the prize here …

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

From what I can see online the issue of annexes, council tax and planning can get a little messy.

You are likely to get permission but it will be for use as an annex only and you will not be allowed to rent it out. This would need further permission at some point in future, the same for a separate dwelling.

It will probably get its own council tax bill which you would be exempt from if using it for an elderly relative, but again if you wanted to rent it out or have someone not exempt like a teenager live there then it would become liable for council tax.

• Like 1

It seems to me the objections will get nowhere, although it does look like they're hinting heavily that what they really object to is that they don't want some sort of air BnB type thing in the future. Asking for a condition that it is re-converted back to a garage later is unreasonable and I don't think has a basis in planning, except where you're asking for temporary permission, which you're not.

The layout does seem to waste a lot of space with a long walkway from the front door to the rear living area. You could consider moving the shower room so that it sits across the full width of the garage either at the front or the back which will give you a much more flexible "squarer" living space with space for a small sofa or chair. I don't think you need 2 doors either, a single door is probably more sensible and, whilst not suggesting you concede anything to your neighbour, they would see it as a minor victory for their "complaint" and could be seen as you taking on board their comments and being a good neighbour. I would put the door facing your house, or leave the existing opening where it is.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

It seems to me the objections will get nowhere, although it does look like they're hinting heavily that what they really object to is that they don't want some sort of air BnB type thing in the future. Asking for a condition that it is re-converted back to a garage later is unreasonable and I don't think has a basis in planning, except where you're asking for temporary permission, which you're not.

The layout does seem to waste a lot of space with a long walkway from the front door to the rear living area. You could consider moving the shower room so that it sits across the full width of the garage either at the front or the back which will give you a much more flexible "squarer" living space with space for a small sofa or chair. I don't think you need 2 doors either, a single door is probably more sensible and, whilst not suggesting you concede anything to your neighbour, they would see it as a minor victory for their "complaint" and could be seen as you taking on board their comments and being a good neighbour. I would put the door facing your house, or leave the existing opening where it is.

Good luck.

Thank you. Would the exact layout of the internals need to be included in the plans? I.e. could we change our mind over the layout after planning is approved (assuming it is) if we thought it would work better?

4 minutes ago, joemdt said:

Thank you. Would the exact layout of the internals need to be included in the plans? I.e. could we change our mind over the layout after planning is approved (assuming it is) if we thought it would work better?

No to the first, and yes to the second question. Internal layout is Not a Material  Consideration to a planning application.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

No to the first, and yes to the second question. Internal layout is Not a Material  Consideration to a planning application.

Thabk you. Sorry, I should have added a third question... the position of the doors and windows would need to be as in the plans though?