Power storage of the future?

Marvin

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Seems rather complicated.  Why not just install a few more, tried and tested, geothermal systems.

Shall see what 2026 and 2028 brings, I suspect nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power

"There is enough stupidity around not to have to look for conspiracy"

All good thoughts.

Re the system in my first post on this topic: The energy storage and swift response sides look good from a commercial point of view for energy producers which ticks a lot of boxes from a business point of view. 

If the trials work as planned I think it's the best so far. 

Remember you can change how the excess energy is produced and just use the storage and response side of the system. This may negate the requirement for larger power stations that work at less than full power most of the time and have time delayed gearing up and shutting down requirements, meaning smaller power stations costing less to build and to run. Also, I assume it could be used with a geothermal system.

But as @SteamyTea implies and my brother says time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

just use the storage and response side of the system

I think the fast response is a bit of a myth.

Probably takes a few seconds for systems to adjust and synchronise. Emergency generation (usually diesel) responds fast, as do hot spinning reserves (why they are hot).

I often think that people think that the advances in IT system that were seen between 1985 and 2005 can be directly implement into grid scale, bulk generation. There is no 'Moore's Law'.