Hi All

I have approved planning which i have officially commenced (CIL notification sent and confirmed) to allow a HV electricity move and other services to be sorted.

The costs for these works are all zero rated as the electricity is a new supply and the trenching etc is being done by a groundworker on a zero rated basis.

In parallel is have also got another planning submission underway to add a garage etc.

My question is - can i submit a single VAT refund on both the existing planning (which i have commenced) and future work covered by the soon to be approved new planning ?

Many Thanks

Bob 

5 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

Hi All

I have approved planning which i have officially commenced (CIL notification sent and confirmed) to allow a HV electricity move and other services to be sorted.

The costs for these works are all zero rated as the electricity is a new supply and the trenching etc is being done by a groundworker on a zero rated basis.

That all sounds right. Actually moving an electric pole could be zero rated even if it wasn't part of the new supply. For example if it was moved because it was in the way and moving it enabled the house to be built.

In parallel is have also got another planning submission underway to add a garage etc.

My question is - can i submit a single VAT refund on both the existing planning (which i have commenced) and future work covered by the soon to be approved new planning ?

Does the new planning application just cover the garage or does it ammend the existing approval? Once a house is completed you can't reclaim VAT on an extension or outbuilding/garage so if the new PP is just for the garage then I suspect not reclaimable. However if you were to get your PP for the house amended to include a garage then it should be possible to reclaim VAT on the garage as well.

To be honest I'm not sure what happens if the garage is on a seperate permission and you build the garage before finishing the house.

If you are using a builder who is zero rating the house to you then its possible he could be (incorrectly) persuaded to zero rate the garage as well. Its unlikely there would be any come back but it is possible. For example if HMRC investigated the projects the builder had worked on and correct his VAT return (or words to that effect) then he might come to you for the VAT.

Edited by Temp

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

The new planning is an amendment of the original approved scheme and contains all sorts of extra windows, hight, garage etc etc etc.

I just want to make sure i can reclaim vat on all the works not just the original scheme which has commenced.

Many thanks