Flooring Slab Options!?

richo106

Hi All

We are starting our bungalow renovations in the next couple of months and currently ripping out.

We currently have joists and floorboard suspended floor. The plan was to rip up and replace with new slab, 200mm insulation, ufh pipes and 50mm screed etc. 

However when I lifted some floor boards the void below varies from 170mm to 500mm (to top of blues) below the floorboards look likes there is a solid concrete floor/slab.

What would people do in this situation, it seems a waste to rip it and start again but I am not sure what options I have. 

Obviously the slab underneath isn’t flat as it follows the slope of the ground and I don’t know how thick etc it is 

all help/advice/information greatly appreciated 

Edited by richo106

That concrete is probably what is known as ( oversite) just a thin layer to stop weeds and stuff, they used to build the dwarf walls on top of it that carries the floor joists. 

Its normally very rough and can differ in thickness massively. 

Depends how wild you want to go, I would probably take it all up. 

What do you want to achieve and how long are you going to live there. 

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

That concrete is probably what is known as ( oversite) just a thin layer to stop weeds and stuff, they used to build the dwarf walls on top of it that carries the floor joists. 

Its normally very rough and can differ in thickness massively. 

Depends how wild you want to go, I would probably take it all up. 

What do you want to achieve and how long are you going to live there. 

That sounds exactly what it’s like to me!

This will be our ‘forever’ home so i want to do it properly so I will be removing it. Thanks for the reply

Would internal walls be built off this too or are they likely to have their own proper footings? I will be keeping 2 of the walls and building up from them as block walls to support roof structure

Thanks again