When can we expect to hear from an appeal

RichyC

We have put an appeal in on 19th Feb for planning and have yet to hear anything. Our architect did say it was a closed situation whereby there is no one specifically to reach out to on progress. It will just be a case of hearing whether the appeal is successful or not. However this seems too open-ended and is a concern the appeal could be forgotten about? 

Is this the standard way things are done with an appeal or is there something we can do to find out more information? 

Thanks in advance 

Here's authoritative data collated recently

appeals.thumb.jpg.0a739af7d4cc50f22bbc9c1caadaad77.jpg

the data is available here in full

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/appeals-average-timescales-for-arranging-inquiries-and-hearings  Downloaded May 2022

Has your application been validated yet?

Please note that the times given here are measured from the time an appeal which we are able to progress (‘valid’) to the time a decision is issued.

(ibid)  Downloaded May 2022

Have you recieved confirmation that's its been received and validated? As I recall if someone wrote to support or object to the original planning application they will automatically be notified within two weeks of an appeal being validated. I'm not sure how long it's taking to validate appeal applications.

I'm not sure I believe these figures from 2019..

https://www.theplanner.co.uk/news/appeal-stats-released

For appeals (not including householder appeals) that are dealt with by written representation, it takes on average one week to validate the appeal and 10 weeks before the appeal begins. In total, it takes 28 weeks for a decision to be issued.

If the appeal involves a hearing, it also takes one week to validate the appeal, but it takes 23 weeks before proceedings start. The whole process, from start to decision, takes an average of 43 weeks.

Appeals with inquiries took a total of 50 weeks on average, from start to decision.

The stages of an appeal are broken down into stages:

• Validation to start – once validated a planning inspector is identified.
  • Start to event – Parties will receive a timetable for the appeal, including deadlines for representations and supporting documents.
  • Event to decision – The inspector will make a decision on the appeal.

On 15/05/2022 at 21:42, RichyC said:

I have no where to go with this. No contact details for anyone to ask? 

I can’t remember exact details but I did my own appeal and had contact details of the office dealing with it, did you do your own?, if you got someone to do it for you they should have the details or be able to contact them for you!