DIY Insulated Foundations

I've just got my insulated foundation drawings back from Hilliard Tanner. As I don't have the luxury of the MBC boys doing the work I'm rather on my own. No doubt it's a bit like Lego and should all go together easily, however I'm wondering where you get those U shaped clips they use to connect the ring beam sections of EPS together?

Any thoughts and tips on going down the DIY route greatfully received. Is there a guide to such things?

Where are you buying your materials from.

I also will be doing my own foundations, I have a price from Kore and a price from Future Found.

Future Found actually list the clips in the estimate but I was assuming they were also included in the price from Kore, after all the ring beam can't function without them.

I was thinking of buying the stuff from the big Insulation suppliers as flat sheets and gluing up the L shaped pieces myself. Interestingly I'm told that in Europe the L shaped sections can be purchased from builders merchants. Not so here!

Not sure who is the cheapest supplier at the mement.

Edited by Triassic

Try these guys aswell.

http://www.styrene.biz/index.html 

I personally would try and get the L upstand pre cut but if you needed to do it yourself then I don't actually see a problem. We run out of kore clips but ended up bending welding rods (need to double check) . We also used the welding rods for pegging in the DPM on the outside of the L upstand. We also needed to source extra eps 300 and 100 (100mm thick) online from the insulation superstore. For the second house foundation I will unlikely go with kore again as their sheets are pretty small dimensions and expensive shipping from Ireland for 1 1/2 lorries. 

20161202_080445.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on my DIY insulated foundations. I considered for a moment doing all the work myself, but the reality is that its too big a job for me. So after a bit of searching I found two local companies with some experience of doing insulated foundations and asked them to quote for doing the whole job.

Fast forward a couple of months and I've just received the first quote and as its a rainy day here I thought I'd spend time analysing the quote. The problem I'm having is not having a benchmark against which to compare the quote with. The bottom line is, if I look at the price per M2, it comes out at £290/M2 .

So how dos this compare to your insulated foundation costs?

What's included?

Levelling site, foul drains, sub-base, UFH pipes, steel, concrete pour, power-float finish etc???

Mind you, seems expensive even with all of the above...

Edited by IanR

The price is to supply all labour and materials required for the foundations -

Excavate and level the plot as per levels

Install stone drainage layer

Install drainage, radon sump, service pipes and perimeter land drains

Install insulation (design by Hilliard Tanner) and Radon barrier

Install steel ring beams and floor mesh

(Install UFH pipes - I'm doing this)

Cast concrete, power float finish.

The price also include a small amount of block work to form a feature fireplace and two internal walls.

oh and £4500 of preliminaries (not sure what this includes).

Having removed some doubled up items and the preliminaries i get the price down to around £226/m2.

Edited by Triassic
revised price added

I got prices from Supergrund, Kore and Isoquick and once adjusted for all the missing stuff, the quotes were similar; around £10k to £11k for a 75m² insulated slab, installed.  That was based on the ground works already having been done, in as much as the site was level and the 150mm layer of stone had been laid and compacted.  The prices included the insulation, steel reinforcement and concrete pour, but not UFH pipes (they would have added maybe £500 at most, I think). 

Mine has worked out at at about £166 sq m. That is with me excavating site and getting ready for contractor to lay the stone. I will be doing the UFH pipes myself.

• 8 months later...

So my DIY insulated foundation project has started, after weeks of digging and peckering the basement is dug and with the help of two local ground workers I’ve started levelling up the surface prior to installing the insulation.

4A47EB84-BA1E-43D8-94B3-AC6EE7B57713.jpeg

This is the view of the left hand side of the basement.

No doubt more photos will folllow as the Work progress.

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

You asked for more photos of my DIY insulated foundations so her we go.

0AD0F145-41ED-433D-A833-8EBB9701BA5C.jpeg

The first layer going in there ver the sand blinding layer.

C25B27FE-A821-4AD1-AD59-67E72CD6F53C.jpeg

The fitst 100mm thick layer of EPS 300 in place.

09BB8CC8-D9CE-4DA6-AFE2-885BC36F3DAC.jpeg

The rebar. 

C4399F86-7AAF-44F6-B985-B6E1E508D9B9.jpeg

The finished job ready for concrete on Friday.

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 4

Well our plans for tomorrow's foundation concrete pour just went pear shaped! The pump guy called at 12:45 and cancelled, apparently he’s on a Network Rail job and someone’s hit a cables, so it’s job stopped until it’s repaired. 

The concrete batch plant plant were very understanding, no doubt they’ve heard it all before! I had visions of me desperately trying to wheelbarrow 23m3 of concrete up the drive and into the hole!

Finally we have concrete! After cancelling Fridays pump job due to someone hitting a high voltage cable on a the Thursdays job he turned up at 7:30 this morning to set up, however he wasn’t a happy bunny as anothe4 of the pump guys had inspected the site access and had said it was fine! After a lot of struggling he managed to get into a position he could put the legs out to allow him to deploy the boom. Thee hours and 25.5m3 later and a lot of hard work for the two of us, we have an excellent insulated concrete foundation!

865720E4-5C67-49DF-BE81-28D85C3C044E.thumb.jpeg.8ff923cac635e74addaf69b2773c7ba0.jpeg

The first load goes in.

C3966E00-F850-4896-B278-9FFE8DB5A243.jpeg

The finished job.

09E65E09-6E89-4EA3-8DC3-EC6A60A53395.thumb.jpeg.d1c92f78c4aa3f60568c8cc35c97a42f.jpeg

Spot the concrete pump truck.

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 7

The view was part of the reason we move here.

The house is an upside down house, your looking into the basement which will contain three bedrooms. The lounge, kitchen and family room will go on top of the bedrooms and have been positioned to make the best of the view.

• Like 2

So my next job, having concreted and power floated the basement floor, are the basement walls. These were designed by a structural engineer and on reflection they're probably over engineered, given we have solid limestone on three sides and a lawn to the front. The extent of the limestone only became apparent when we demolished the old bungalow. We only had one small area within the footprint of the new house for a trial pit and as luck would have it suggested around six feet of broken fractured limestone. Once the house was demolished it became clear that the fractured limestone only covered a small area at one end, as a result our three weeks dig extend to twelve weeks.

For the walls we’ve decided to use the Amvic ICF system which has plastic webs with notches at the requires spacing for front and back horizontal layers of rebar. Once stacked and braced these will be pumped with concrete in 1m lifts space at around one hour intervals.