Change of address??

We have just moved into a rental property so that we can demolish our existing house and rebuild on the same site.  We will be handing the site over to the main contractor for the duration, estimated to be about a year. 

I have arranged with Royal Mail to redirect our mail for 12 months.  But does anyone know if I also formally need to change our address for things like our driving licences, bank accounts and credit card.  I know we will need to change the address for car insurance and obviously we are dealing with council tax etc, and I am not going to change the address for various charities and things that we subscribe to.  But we are still the formal owner of our main address, even if we aren't living there for a year so can we just rely on the mail redirection for the semi-formal things? 

No, we just left everything (except medical) at the site address. Probably not 100% legit but changing addresses for a year or two is a pain in the arse. Had a letter box on the site gate so no issues missing post 

13 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Your car insurance will not pay out if you have the wrong address,

Mine did.

Though it came back to haunt me about a decade later when I wanted proof of no claims.

I had forgotten about the insurance scam I was a victim of, but the insurance companies had not. They did accept that at the time of the claim (by someone else) that my contact address was different from my permanent address.

British Gas never understood this when I moved, or my bank.

Both kept sending stuff to my old address.

Specsavers have, for over 30 years, always managed to track me down, think they use the NHS data.

I keep asking to be removed from their marketing lists.

Edited by SteamyTea

18 hours ago, Helen2 said:

But does anyone know if I also formally need to change our address for things like our driving licences, bank accounts and credit card.

But we are still the formal owner of our main address, even if we aren't living there for a year so can we just rely on the mail redirection for the semi-formal things? 

If you have to ask the question, then the answer is yes: change address.

There are organisations that will do that for you for - in terms of the sums of money spent on a build - peanuts.

Get a metal post box securely fitted to the site fencing even if you do change address. We had all sorts of post turn up to our site and it was a new build. Frequently materials suppliers sent invoices to the delivery address by mistake.