2nd self build in Cornwall 14 years apart.

Surfiejim

Thanks for letting me join 

We have outline for a detached dwelling in our village of St  Agnes.

I'm looking at ICF and like Isotex but haven't ruled out other ICF or other construction methods.

I have some skills as have previously completed a self build and I also have a carpenter on board. Ease of construction and a near passive finish is the goal. Cost is important also.

Any advice, pros/cons or support would be greatly appreciated.

I also need to start thinking about the roof??

Flat site. Easy access.

2 hours ago, Jamie Kent said:

also need to start thinking about the roof

Welcome

Large and South facing, with integrated PV.

And good gutters because if you can see the beacon it is about to rain, if you can't see it, it is raining.

More seriously, have you any restrictions on the build concerning sewage and services (at least no gas to worry about).

Edited by SteamyTea

Hi Steamy Tea. I guess you know the area well? What is this "gas" you speak of ?? ... 😉 

Services "should be Ok" !

Unfortunately the gables will run North/South- although the house next door is the same and is doing well with PV on the west side.

Iceverge: design is currently being finalised for detailed PP.

I hoping to insulated and air tight well enough to get away with ASHP and a Log burn boost for the depths of winter, I'll probably go with a mix of PV and Solar Thermal/heat store if I can get it to look ok.

If anyone can suggest a better solution I'd be happy to consider anything...

Have you seen r-wall ICF in Bude it’s similar to polar wall in Exeter. Not sure how these too differ from each other. We’re hoping for ICF no planing permission yet hopefully applying soon.