Toilet won't Drain

Rob the Tiff

Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post. I've  been in my bungalow for a few weeks now and all of a sudden the toilet wouldn't drain, or should I say it drains very slowly, but the flush is good. Now when I move the waste pipe at the back a bit, I hear a rush of air and hey presto it drains, then I push the waste pipe firmly on again then flush again and it fills up and doesn't drain. Is this a vent issue? 

By the way the toilet is in the middle of the bungalow and there is no vent pipe I can see either on the outside of the bungalow or anywhere on the roof.

Any advice?

Edited by Rob the Tiff

Welcome to the forum.

To me it sounds more like a blocked drain than a lack of vent but I might be wrong. Can you tell which way the "rush of air" is going? 

Pipe to room... You might have an AAV instead of an open vent. These only let air into the pipes. If the drain pipe gets blocked air pressure can build up slowing the flow. When you let the air out into the room that would reduce the pressure allowing the flow to improve.

Room to pipe..  If air is going from the room into the pipe that would suggest a blocked AAV or lack of ventilation.

Look for the blockage, not the AAV. A failed AAV wouldn't result in the water level dropping slowly (the water would quite happily fill the resulting vacuum). 

Edited by MJNewton