Sewer connection quote. Reasonable?

Afternoon all, I've had a quote to connect to the sewer which includes one chamber and 7m of pipework, it will involve digging up a path and part of the road although as it's at the end of the road it wont require traffic lights etc. Quote came back and it's just over £8k! 

I'm stunned it's that expensive does it sound reasonable?

Edited by Water

Sounds very expensive - get more quotes.  You will find a list of approved contractors on you local water board's website.  With no traffic management etc I would be expecting nearer to £2 - 3k for that unless the sewer was really deep.

Ours is a bit funny, we have a septic tank and a connection to mains sewerage already on our land. We were quoted £2,500 to backfill the septic tank and connect everything to the existing mains sewerage via a new manhole on our land. When we get around to it, I'll be doing it myself for the cost of a mini digger hire for the weekend.

Was this quote direct from the water company? When we did ours I found their pipe-laying rates were, probably deliberately, way over the odds.  I think they have to offer the service but don't really want to do it, and would prefer you use a self-lay provider.

I found ours by simply googling "sewer connection contractors" and getting a few quotes.  Obviously the road and traffic management may push the price significantly.