Hi, I’m new to this site,

we’ve just got planning permission to build a 3200sqf house,

after waiting a year.

we built a hse 15 years ago so we have a little knowledge about building.

just looking for some advice on costing please.

we have agreed a price on timber frame.

foundation's are our problem.

strip foundation

block & beam

drainage to treatment plant.

quotes of 72k

am I out of touch or is this expensive

12D7D0C6-FDE1-4787-8DDF-B854A6B35018.jpeg

Very hard to tell, is there any leveling to do on site, any muck away? Is the foundations deep? Depth of fill required? Is the ground good or bad? What type of treatment plant? And as discussed here a fair bit Location Location, Location makes a massive difference.

P.s really nice looking house

• Like 1

I’ve just completed our foundations and drainage Muck out stone in 

All very expensive As on our previous build It’s the only part that you can not accurately predict 

The only way a company will do a fix quote Is to load the quote 

• Like 1

I found it impossible to get a fixed cost for my groundworks. Too many unknowns. Ended up doing time + materials with a friend and worked out ok. Less than expected and muck away costs were half of what I'd assumed.

• Like 1

There is a lot going on here which may belong in different packages.

Looking at the fundamentals - 

Setting out - £not much

Digging the strip - 5.5T digger and a dumper for a week with 2 blokes - £1500 - 2k

concrete - depending on the depth at whatever rate you have per cubic m - you are probably going to get through £15k of concrete + at current pricing

Then you want to get your brickies in to take it to the beam level

Groundworkers or whoever (easy to do yourself) to set the below ground drainage and water duct etc) and take out past the foundation - you don't want to be worrying about the septic tank and soakaway at this point

Whoever to do the beam and block (again easy to do with a mate or two).  I did 2 x 1,650 sq. ft plots plus my 3,000 sq. ft. house with floorspan E-floor Plus for £6,500 including installation (I couldn't be arsed tbh)

Brickies to splash

Don't see how that adds up to £75k although someone is offering to take away your hassle at a big markup. 

• Like 1

Seems high. Our foundations have just been dug on our build. All contractor managed:

House and garage strip foundations excavated and concreted - £17k

Build to DPC on house and garage, drains and scaffold mat - £12k

Block and beam to house and concrete slab for garage - £10k

Services for water and drainage etc were brought to our site at a previous phase but still our groundworks are less than 40k

this is for a double garage and 12m x 11m footprint house. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Savills2 said:

am I out of touch or is this expensive

Jesus Lord.. that's horrific.  Albeit as above lots of factors. 

Look into an insulated foundation, less steps than conventional and imo cheaper and easy to DIY parts. 

Edited by SuperJohnG
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Faz said:

There is a lot going on here which may belong in different packages.

Looking at the fundamentals - 

Setting out - £not much

Digging the strip - 5.5T digger and a dumper for a week with 2 blokes - £1500 - 2k

concrete - depending on the depth at whatever rate you have per cubic m - you are probably going to get through £15k of concrete + at current pricing

Then you want to get your brickies in to take it to the beam level

Groundworkers or whoever (easy to do yourself) to set the below ground drainage and water duct etc) and take out past the foundation - you don't want to be worrying about the septic tank and soakaway at this point

Whoever to do the beam and block (again easy to do with a mate or two).  I did 2 x 1,650 sq. ft plots plus my 3,000 sq. ft. house with floorspan E-floor Plus for £6,500 including installation (I couldn't be arsed tbh)

Brickies to splash

Don't see how that adds up to £75k although someone is offering to take away your hassle at a big markup. 

Extremely optimistic 

Ive just finished doing them myself 

and quickly went through 50 k On good ground 

Buying the tank and underground drainage has cost 8 k Concrete and stone in as cost 20 k plus 

Pipe bedding has cost 2 k 

Muck away would have cost a fortune But  I brought a dozer in to bury the clay 

£500 plus vat per day 

Don’t underestimate the GE costs 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Savills2 said:

Thank you for shredding some light,

I have got some quotes myself for materials,

it’s obviously the labour that is the problem 35/45k

I think I’m in the wrong trade 🙈

I will keep trying.

Have you done ground investigation and do you have a SE signed off foundation design?

Anything tricky about your site -  access, slope, ground composition?

Have you looked into an insulated raft foundation and compared labour / materials etc? 

Insulated raft is similar to ICF so you may be able to do some of the work yourself to save on labour costs, or not require as much labour as you're not excavating down.

Also, some TF companies like MBC will do an insulated slab as part of their package but will not do preparatory groundworks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nod said:

Extremely optimistic 

Ive just finished doing them myself 

and quickly went through 50 k On good ground 

Buying the tank and underground drainage has cost 8 k Concrete and stone in as cost 20 k plus 

Pipe bedding has cost 2 k 

Muck away would have cost a fortune But  I brought a dozer in to bury the clay 

£500 plus vat per day 

Don’t underestimate the GE costs 

Grab lorry’s went up £50 each grab a couple of weeks ago, no more red diesel for plant. The price of rebar is up 30% I think? Just can’t keep up. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

Grab lorry’s went up £50 each grab a couple of weeks ago, no more red diesel for plant. The price of rebar is up 30% I think? Just can’t keep up. 

Yep

Muck away is going up daily 

Massive fines for farmers taking muck away and the plot owner 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Have you done ground investigation and do you have a SE signed off foundation design?

Anything tricky about your site -  access, slope, ground composition?

Have you looked into an insulated raft foundation and compared labour / materials etc? 

Insulated raft is similar to ICF so you may be able to do some of the work yourself to save on labour costs, or not require as much labour as you're not excavating down.

Also, some TF companies like MBC will do an insulated slab as part of their package but will not do preparatory groundworks.

• 4 weeks later...