Oil to ASHP. Can I? and do my numbers workout?

17 minutes ago, pacemaker1000 said:

Sorry Hugh I don’t understand why you’d query getting the grant?

ASHP cost is around 4-5k as don’t get vat back on direct purchase. Plus install would be at least £2k, so £7 in total?

with grant it’s completely free or at most just the difference in a 10 and 12k pump….no brainer?

re other comments:

I would run hot water on whatever is the cheapest which would probably be Pump during cheap electric? During this time in winter I would take advantage of cheap electric to heat all rooms to about 22*C, or at least best it could do as concrete will then retain heat during most of the day and Pump would kick in when needed. So question would be whether Pump could cope with DHW and heating during this short period.

of course in Summer HP is not needed if using alternative ways for the DHW. This would mean he ASHP would be turned off completely for 6 months and don’t know if this would be a bad thing so using it for hot water may be necessary?

The grant means you have to go through an MCS registered installer, that just drives the costs up massively compared to the retail costs of the actual kit. Just my observations...

35 minutes ago, HughF said:

The grant means you have to go through an MCS registered installer, that just drives the costs up massively compared to the retail costs of the actual kit. Just my observations...

Fwiw it also means you have a warranty over the design and theoretically industry backed recourse if it doesn't perform or the supplier goes out of business. It may also provide better support/warranty from the manufacturer.

Along with avoiding the need to learn how to join pipes this was enough for me to pay the slight premium but totally get for someone more time rich/cash poor the equation would look different. Having  choice is useful, which is what smarts about grants and vat reduction incentives tied to taking  the "luxury" of supply/install

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Fwiw it also means you have a warranty over thedesign and theoretically industry backed recourse if it doesn't perform or
And as far as I can see this is not worth the paper it’s written on, just try to get any satisfaction from the industry backers!

Quite! I wouldn't put much faith in it...

Although, I do know one person that successfully got an entire system replaced after the original was mis-specified so it is worth more than zero

2 hours ago, joth said:

Fwiw it also means you have a warranty over the design and theoretically industry backed recourse if it doesn't perform or the supplier goes out of business. It may also provide better support/warranty from the manufacturer.

Along with avoiding the need to learn how to join pipes this was enough for me to pay the slight premium but totally get for someone more time rich/cash poor the equation would look different. Having  choice is useful, which is what smarts about grants and vat reduction incentives tied to taking  the "luxury" of supply/install

You mean similar to the backing given by Fensa on my window installation? Yeah, I'll pass thanks :D

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 19:44, joth said:

Quite! I wouldn't put much faith in it...

Although, I do know one person that successfully got an entire system replaced after the original was mis-specified so it is worth more than zero

Well I’m still trying to get pay back from a crap installer, 16 months since I first complained to Hetas and Recc!