Concrete Blocks Per Day

Barney12

We'd love for that to happen but it never does. If your lads are 6' or more there'll be plenty of swearing at the scaffold clips but that's just the way it goes. Is it tube & fitting (traditional) or system scaffold? System is so much better on a standard shapes build & even better on TF,as you can lift the inner board as you reach the top of the lift & then drop it down half a metre when you move onto the upper lift. Have you ordered coursing blocks for above & below the openings? If you're expecting them to cut full blocks instead that'll slow them down considerably.  You'll need bed joint reinforcement two courses above & below all openings too to minimise risk of cracking. Get them to prop the lintols too or they'll likely deflect. 

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Hi folks,

This is what I mean

looks fairly all encompassing. couple of Q's

what is the PC column for?

and how do you incorporate the cavity closing? or are those per linear meter? edit : it quite clearly says m in the unit column 9_9

and you say those are london prices so i would only get half of the end column, or do i only half the labour cost? 

29 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

and how do you incorporate the cavity closing? or are those per linear meter? 

and you say those are london prices so i would only get half of end column, or do i only half the labour cost? 

PC is the value of the blocks in there - if you wanted to use a different manufacturer block you add or subtract the difference in cost per square metre to the material price. 

Rates are covered in detail in the rates tables - it's SE rates I think and you factor a percentage on the labour based upon your locality. I'm not sure if the electronic version allows you to do this for all rates. 

I've built a version of this from both SPON and a QS sheet I have to validate costs - downside is that you have to take an daily rate and then make it into a per item/m etc rate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

No way would it take 15 days for 2 brickies to lay 1600 blocks. So are they going to build an average of 53 a blocks each day. Should be no more than 5-6 days. Each brickie should be building 250-300 blocks in a day esp with no insulation to worry about. As long as the studs are marked out to nail the ties in they should be waiting on you to lift scaffolding and to load it out.

Not many brickies will lay 300 block a day on a timber frame. 

11 minutes ago, Kev106 said:

A 10m gable wall 7 course high would have 155 blocks in it. Using profiles 2 brickies should be able to do both gables each day with some more run in between the corners at the front or back. Finish off the front/back then up a lift and on to the gables again. Repeat.  4-5 days to wall plate height then 2-3 on the peaks.

This all depends on getting the scaffold lifted and loaded and having everything you need heads ,cills and ties etc are there for you. 

12 hours ago, Kev106 said:

300 /8 hrs = 37.5 blocks per hour. 

Just over one every 2 minutes. Even allowing for ties & cutting for openings,getting over lintols etc this is not that hard s challenge. 

14 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

and how do you incorporate the cavity closing? or are those per linear meter? edit : it quite clearly says m in the unit column 9_9

and you say those are london prices so i would only get half of the end column, or do i only half the labour cost? 

Buy the book Ed ..... It only costs as  much as a good night in the pub 

@recoveringacademic

WHich year edition are you using? I assume it is the Builders' one.

It looks like one of those purchases which are worthwhile when doing a big project especially with little experience, and of diminishing usefulness for perhaps the next 5 years as a more and more general guide, but useful as a source for concepts and how to structure thinking. And I guess as a comparison tool for different approaches.

I see that there are different ones for Landscaping. Engineering, and Mechanical and Electrical, all at £150 too.

Ferdinand

SPON'S (2016) Architects' and Builders' Price Book, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 141st Edition.

The superb thing about it is that you also get an searchable electronic copy, and that means (using this thread as an example) you can search for all instances of  'blocks' in Approximate Estimating  and, or,  for the same term in Price's for Measured Works. 

Having both the online copy and the physical book open is -for a neophyte like me- a real help. It means at worst that there is a reduced chance of me making a howler, and watching local trades people snigger when we walk into our local. A view of all instances of 'blocks' with the book itself also open gives a real overview of how 'blocks' are used. 

I sometimes sit in the evenings and read the book.... Just a set of lists. Sad, but true.

'Will you walk away from and fool and his money? If you want it, here it is, come and get it, but you better hurry 'cos it may not last....Did I hear you say that there must be a catch? Honey if  you ....' (forgotten the rest)

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Buy the book Ed ..... It only costs as  much as a good night in the pub 

Ah but you could meet a bad woman in the pub that will cost you more than you can afford!!

Ed, Another way of looking at it is that you would have independent evidence of what is a reasonable rate to charge.

On another matter, does Faye own a nailer? If so, I'd be checking my shoes first thing in the morning. Might find them hard to pick up.....

12 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Makes me grateful for my bricklayer & labourer son who laid 3-400 bricks a day. £120+£100 a day (cash)

When I was around 12/13, my (disabled, wheelchair user) father decided that I should build a curved raised bed, around 40ft long x 3ft high, so he could plant roses that he could get at.   At the time, we were having a two storey extension built, to provide a flat for my grandmother and a downstairs bedroom, etc, for my parents.  The builder was a great chap, who showed me how to mix mortar, lay bricks and point them (I still have the bit of bent galvanised bucket handle he gave me to do this).

I dug trenches, poured concrete footings and then started building the walls.  All the time I was laying the bricks, my father was sat in his chair on the lawn, listening to the cricket and keeping watch on my brick laying.  During a lull in the cricket he'd gently remind me that Churchill (who's middle name I share*, because my father was a great fan of him) could lay 300 bricks a day.  I think I struggled to do 100 a day, and he was not best pleased.......................

*apparently he also wanted to name me Winston, but my (Irish) grandmother told him that it was bad enough him giving me an English name.  She didn't much like the English, especially as she got older.

Edited by JSHarris

45 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Is it just a coincidence that Faye was the barmaid? ??

and although I can see the usefulness of the book for others. For me it would just show me how much I am not paying myself. 

There are copies of the 2015 version available online if you search for them. Prices have moved a little but I found it pretty accurate for my area (Midlands) by not applying the factoring to reduce the price from the "standard" SE pricing. 

Day rates vary a lot - I don't begrudge paying a decent day rate if I get a days work. What grates is when I get day rate work that is 10-3 and an hour for lunch and I'm told the job will take "longer"....  

23 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Ed, Another way of looking at it is that you would have independent evidence of what is a reasonable rate to charge.

On another matter, does Faye own a nailer? If so, I'd be checking my shoes first thing in the morning. Might find them hard to pick up.....

I think I would describe the role of SPONS as a sanity check, in particular to prevent huge mistakes through inexperience or ignorance.

Paying 25 per sqm OTT for 250sqm of brickwork (say) is a chance to lose a lot in one go.

Thtat sits alongside the stuff we all do to different extents to save a few percent here, and a few hundred ukp there.

Ferdinand

30 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

does Faye own a nailer? If so, I'd be checking my shoes first thing in the morning. Might find them hard to pick up.....

She doesn't own one as such but she knows where they are kept. She also knows how much of a mess I would make of the floor to get them off. I can only imagine the carnage if it were to happen before I have had a coffee. 

11 hours ago, JSHarris said:

When I was around 12/13, my (disabled, wheelchair user) father decided that I should build a curved raised bed, around 40ft long x 3ft high, so he could plant roses that he could get at.   At the time, we were having a two storey extension built, to provide a flat for my grandmother and a downstairs bedroom, etc, for my parents.  The builder was a great chap, who showed me how to mix mortar, lay bricks and point them (I still have the bit of bent galvanised bucket handle he gave me to do this).

I dug trenches, poured concrete footings and then started building the walls.  All the time I was laying the bricks, my father was sat in his chair on the lawn, listening to the cricket and keeping watch on my brick laying.  During a lull in the cricket he'd gently remind me that Churchill (who's middle name I share*, because my father was a great fan of him) could lay 300 bricks a day.  I think I struggled to do 100 a day, and he was not best pleased.......................

*apparently he also wanted to name me Winston, but my (Irish) grandmother told him that it was bad enough him giving me an English name.  She didn't much like the English, especially as she got older.

He was harsh on you-if I got 100 per day from a complete novice I'd be over the moon!

Also,on the subject of names,my Dad (Mum's 2nd husband) wouldn't allow me to be christened Catholic the same as my siblings. 

He came from a fairly religious (Protestant) Plymouth family,& didn't want the hassle with them. 

In concilliatory mood (back then,at least),my Mum suggested Adrian for the name-nice & neutral & he agreed. 

A few years later he was reminded by a colleague that England's only Pope,Nicholas Breakspear,was known as Adrian IV. 

My Dad was an excellent chess player but Mum wiped the floor with him there :))

• 10 months later...
On 5/18/2017 at 21:17, recoveringacademic said:

But the task is of a known size. That - in conjunction with SPONS - makes it possible to make a judgement  on whether the day rate is reasonable.

SPONS has saved me about as much money as buildhub. 

For the idiots in the room; what's SPONS?

10 minutes ago, Youngredders said:

For the idiots in the room; what's SPONS?

SPONS price guide...

Issued and updated every year, covers all works for construction from hanging a door to building a multi storey car park, broken into materials and labour 

If you don’t have a QS or estimator involved then it may be the best £160 you spend ....