Concrete Blocks Per Day

Barney12

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable "blocks laid per day" would be? Standard dense concrete blocks, nothing complicated, just a single skin for a timber frame.

Just trying to gauge costs as one guy will only give me a day rate.

Just now, PeterW said:

1+1 gang and mixing on site ..?

Reckon we are 230 a day but we have all pointed and full filled as I like them looking pretty ... 

Yes 1+1, mixing onsite.

Going to be fully rendered (not thin coat) so pretty isn't exactly important.

Can only build 7 course high or the wall starts to get very wobbly. On that basis you should be able to do a full 7 course around each lift each day so 4 days work should get you  to wall plate height, assuming it's a 2 storey house with no awkward  corners etc. After that it's the peaks and depending on how high they are you are usually talking 3 lifts. 

A straight gable wall with no doors or windows will take no time for 2 brickies to put up but a smaller wall with loads of windows and doors will take longer due to the cuts and plumbing each reveal. 

You need to be organised with having some one there each day to lift the scaffolding and help lift the blocks up.

It doesn't matter: you have a known area to build; multiply that by the price per meter. SPONS itemises both labour and material costs, and makes an allowance based on Outer London being the base price; Lancashire's price will be about 0.96 of that price. Your neck of the woods , Ed is about half Outer London cost....:P

Too easy, too open to inspection. 

Should do 25  sqm a day easy enough. Some days more some days less depending on how many openings there are, if he uses profiles on the corners, if it's all loaded out for him so he can start as soon as the mixer is ready to go. Loads of variables will effect the amount of blocks built per day but most important thing is if they are actually any good.

Edited by Declan52

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

it matters if they are offering day rate :P 

But the task is of a known size. That - in conjunction with SPONS - makes it possible to make a judgement  on whether the day rate is reasonable.

SPONS has saved me about as much money as buildhub. 

16 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

But the task is of a known size. That - in conjunction with SPONS - makes it possible to make a judgement  on whether the day rate is reasonable.

:) i can see the value in it for estimating, 

would you be willing to share what the base price is for a sq meter of concrete blocks?

As an infrequent self build customer I don't think you'll get too far telling tradesmen what their price is because you've read it in some book they've never heard off. Usually the day rate corresponds to the going site rate and they should be covering their dough more days than not. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oz07 said:

As an infrequent self build customer I don't think you'll get too far telling tradesmen what their price is because you've read it in some book they've never heard off. Usually the day rate corresponds to the going site rate and they should be covering their dough more days than not. 

I have never made the mistake of telling anyone that I use the book. But I have smiled and politely and declined several estimates on the basis of what SPONS suggests. Neither do I begrudge anyone what they think they are worth. At the same time I do not  want to be taken for a fool.

Take piling for example: I had four estimates ranging from £15 to £22k. I paid £6,500 for piles . SPONS costs £150. I had some ground work done; actual cost £3000. Two quotes came in at over £11,000.

SPONS makes it very clear that there are local variations. I suspect that prices in Sandbanks vary greatly from those in Poole for example. 

I use SPONS precisely because I know naff all about building.

11 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

:) i can see the value in it for estimating, 

would you be willing to share what the base price is for a sq meter of concrete blocks?

I paid 20 per mtr 300 mtr pluss a sweetener of two double skinned garages 200mtrs all loading and stone quoins and heads and cils included

Five  weeks for a 3+2 gang  November and December

Perhaps a bit more at the moment Most sites near me are paying brickies 185 per day and far more on price

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hmm... I'm paying £13.50 a metre pointed for 170m plus £500/1000 bricks and that's for reclaimed imperials laid. 

Using ready mixed mortar as I prefer it for consistency. 

Id 7 tons of quoins and cils in with my 20 So pretty happy

I wanted to go the ready mix route ok this time of year A lot of waste  in winter

Well the guy that wants to charge a day rate has come in at £410 a day (2+1) and wants 15 days to lay 160 square meters of block. As I said nothing complicated just a single skin which will be rendered.

Thats roughly £38.50 a sq meter, labour only!

.........NEXT PLEASE :/

We paid £20 per metre for single skin blockwork, £65 for cavity wall with facing brickwork.  Lintols and padstones £16.50.  I would have thought that you can get blockwork done for between £15 and £30 per metre labour only.

Get a price instead of day rate, even if it just a price per meter or block, so that you can measure when he wants paying.

4 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Well the guy that wants to charge a day rate has come in at £410 a day (2+1) and wants 15 days to lay 160 square meters of block. As I said nothing complicated just a single skin which will be rendered.

Thats roughly £38.50 a sq meter, labour only!

.........NEXT PLEASE :/

Whereabouts are you ..???

1600 blocks, 10 days plus expenses so say £2750..?

No way would it take 15 days for 2 brickies to lay 1600 blocks. So are they going to build an average of 53 a blocks each day. Should be no more than 5-6 days. Each brickie should be building 250-300 blocks in a day esp with no insulation to worry about. As long as the studs are marked out to nail the ties in they should be waiting on you to lift scaffolding and to load it out.

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

No way would it take 15 days for 2 brickies to lay 1600 blocks. So are they going to build an average of 53 a blocks each day. Should be no more than 5-6 days. Each brickie should be building 250-300 blocks in a day esp with no insulation to worry about. As long as the studs are marked out to nail the ties in they should be waiting on you to lift scaffolding and to load it out.

Your last point raises an interesting question.

The scaffold will be up to the second lift for the timber framers.

Will I then have to take it all down or will the brickies be happy to work around it? with just the 2 board bracket removed when they get that high?

MBC's spec is stepped out from the foundation by 2ft so its not tight:

The scaffold needs to be set approximately 2 feet from the outside of foundation base edge outline. The primary lift decks need to be a 4 board width platform and there needs to be a 2 board bracket to the inside of this to bring the planks in closer to the edge of the foundation base (so a total of 4 boards on main scaffold + 2 boards on the bracket).

For the platform lifts, we would then require platforms set about 2ft (600mm) below first floor level and the same at eaves level. And again we’d need a scaffolding lift at the gable ends set 2 ft below the ridge