Handrails and regs

Hi

Needing a temporary handrail for some external steps to get sign off whilst awaiting the stainless steel ones to be installed. I know the regs re the height etc but I cant find anything about size and shape of them, I know they are normally mopstick but as I have some left over 50 x 50 planned timber I wondered if I could use that?

Cheers

1 hour ago, symbiosis said:

I have some left over 50 x 50 planned timber I wondered if I could use that?

I doubt you will find anything to do with specific size. But.. I made a similar condtruction for our static caravan but used a bit of 50x100 flat for the rail. it looked good and worked well if you were not physically using it. I have a problem with radiation nerve damage to my leg and over the three years the static caravan was in use my need to use the rail increased to the point of pulling myself up by it.

What it really needed was a round rail of about 40mm dia.

What I am saying is perhaps think who may need to use it.

4 hours ago, symbiosis said:

Hi

Needing a temporary handrail for some external steps to get sign off whilst awaiting the stainless steel ones to be installed. I know the regs re the height etc but I cant find anything about size and shape of them, I know they are normally mopstick but as I have some left over 50 x 50 planned timber I wondered if I could use that?

Cheers

Sounds fine. Specific shape and size of handrails relates only to “Buildings other than dwellings”. Also TBH: “Flights in a private stair with a total rise of more than 600 mm and a common stair in a block of dwellings, should have a continuous handrail that gives firm support and a firm grip………”

• Like 1