Beam and Block floor and ventilated void vs Timber Frame

BartW

Good morning,

We are currently at the point of building a foundation for our next house, and have come to a stumbling point.

We previously had an external brick skin to the plinth which was providing a route, and a way of dressing the telescopic vents. We later removed that external skin, as concluded it was costing a lot of money, by not doing anything structural (our timber frame sits fully on top of the 140mm 7kN blocks).

This leaves us with a question of how to address the ventilated void. Telescopic vents will have nowhere to be hidden externally, and there will be no way / point to install the vent grilles.

How has everyone else been addressing this? One of the neighbours is proposing bollard vent system on theirs, but I find this would be in the way of all things around the property.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Bart

10 hours ago, BartW said:

Good morning,

We are currently at the point of building a foundation for our next house, and have come to a stumbling point.

We previously had an external brick skin to the plinth which was providing a route, and a way of dressing the telescopic vents. We later removed that external skin, as concluded it was costing a lot of money, by not doing anything structural (our timber frame sits fully on top of the 140mm 7kN blocks).

This leaves us with a question of how to address the ventilated void. Telescopic vents will have nowhere to be hidden externally, and there will be no way / point to install the vent grilles.

How has everyone else been addressing this? One of the neighbours is proposing bollard vent system on theirs, but I find this would be in the way of all things around the property.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Bart

Get rid of the ventilated void and use precast concrete slabs rather than block and beam.

Edited by ETC
Additional information included

4 hours ago, ETC said:

Get rid of the ventilated void and use precast concrete slabs rather than block and beam.

Too late for this. We are where we are. Any other options that work with BB?

We are proposing vertical + cross battens, then open charred timber facade. 

by the way, when browsing I found this last night. I think I will run it passed BC:

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 22.26.47.png

Looks like a very clever detail. You might need drainage in the floor void.

Get rid of the void by infilling the height difference between the infill block and the beams with insulation. Fill the sub-floor with hardcore, lay a bed of sand, lay a sacrificial DPM, lay the beams, infill the base with insulation and lay the blocks. Would this work?

14 hours ago, BartW said:

by the way, when browsing I found this last night. I think I will run it passed BC:

Great on paper, but blocked up with crap within a couple of years I reckon.  Is it too late to keep the outer leaf up to dpc level as suggested by @George ?

8 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Great on paper, but blocked up with crap within a couple of years I reckon.  Is it too late to keep the outer leaf up to dpc level as suggested by @George ?

It's not, but I find paying extra £6k for that a privilege I can spend money on elsewhere (like "overnight" steel price increases that amounted to that and a bit...)