How much should liquid screed cost?

AliG

Currently my build costs include around 1040 square metres of 80mm sand cement screed at a cost of £42 per square metre.

This includes the cost of perimeter insulation.

I had already pointed out to the contractor that even including his mark up etc this seemed high. Part of the argument from the screeder is the cost of taking the screed up stairs, it gets more expensive as we rise up through the house.

Anyway the spec is now being changed to 60mm liquid screed. I am not sure of the exact screed yet as it will be used in wet rooms and a pool so will need to be waterproof and one floor will be tiled which I know causes issues with liquid screed.

Anyway every time I Google 60mm liquid screed a cost of around £17-18 per square metre comes up. If this is correct I would think including perimeter insulation I might be looking at £25ish per square metre from my contractor and a nice saving.

Is this a realistic price from people who have actually purchased liquid screed. Also if anyone has had a good price from someone who does SE Scotland then can they shoot me their details.

the contractor will get new quotes, but this is a large single item where I was already concerned that the previous quotes were high and I want to have some data to back this up.

Edited by AliG

1 hour ago, AliG said:

Currently my build costs include around 1040 square metres of 80mm sand cement screed at a cost of £42 per square metre.

This includes the cost of perimeter insulation.

I had already pointed out to the contractor that even including his mark up etc this seemed high. Part of the argument from the screeder is the cost of taking the screed up stairs, it gets more expensive as we rise up through the house.

Anyway the spec is now being changed to 60mm liquid screed. I am not sure of the exact screed yet as it will be used in wet rooms and a pool so will need to be waterproof and one floor will be tiled which I know causes issues with liquid screed.

Anyway every time I Google 60mm liquid screed a cost of around £17-18 per square metre comes up. If this is correct I would think including perimeter insulation I might be looking at £25ish per square metre from my contractor and a nice saving.

Is this a realistic price from people who have actually purchased liquid screed. Also if anyone has had a good price from someone who does SE Scotland then can they shoot me their details.

the contractor will get new quotes, but this is a large single item where I was already concerned that the previous quotes were high and I want to have some data to back this up.

Just on with this now

146mtrs Ground floor SC screed 75mil 1990 Liquid 50 mil 2300

To add, the liquid screed was flat within a few mm across the floors and we were able to lay finishing floors direct without the need for additional levelling compounds. I understand this is not easy to achieve with sand and cement, so another saving to be had?

It's easy to achieve, but labour intensive & 'logistically' more problematic vs liquid screed. 

My 'dry' screeder uses 8' and 10' straight edges to smooth the screed and I'm not exaggerating when I say you can paint it green and play snooker on it. He sets out pads of screed using a laser and then infills and smooths between them like dot to dot. He makes it look easy :(

Yes, I have always felt that it would give a more reliably flat finish.

It also improves the UFH efficiency because there's less chance of voids as well as increasing the response time as it is thinner.

I never really understood sand cement in the first place.

I spoke to the builder today. So we have to allow for screed, perimeter insulation and the plastic sheeting under the screed. Fair enough.

One thing he kept mentioning is that there is the cost of a pump for the screed. When people are quoting prices, I assume the screed people turn up with their own pump and it is part of the cost, not separate?

The screed people who were doing the sand cement are coming to quote next week so I will see how it looks, but I am suspicious it will be high.

The prices I had include plasic sheeting and the full service - so no, pump is not extra. They turned up with a trailer that had the a hopper, pump and pipes, a cement lorry turned up and then poured the screed into the hopper. Each pour lasted <1hr, they had to wait longer than that between lorries.

I have no complaints about the company I used Screed It. Dunno of cheaper options exist. But they only had a barrow of waste at the end (which you pay for). Like said already a V quick process most of time was waiting for the trucks to turn up. 

Tarmac topflow hz (used to be known as Agilia) cost me £143+vat per cubic m.

Its liquid structural concrete, not screed, but similarly millpond flat.

I also hired a concrete pump which you might need to factor in

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Only crazy Welsh plumbers who are too tight to pay for a Labrador with ripped jeans do that.

I've never seen a Labrador with a wheelbarrow but I have seen some real dogs on a night out in Swansea .....