First time renovation

6myth

Hello all, 

Professional Estimator for a main contractor, novice DIYer and Have-A-Go-Hero (because I'm a skinflint) 

Im in the process of purchasing a victorian semi in sunny Bolton NW, England. Moving my family (wife and 2yo daughter) in and undertaking the renovation whilst working full time.

Lots to do including a roof recover, new gas, boiler, plumbing and rewire along with windows (mix of original single leaded, secondary UPVc and double glazed UPVc) and improving insulation where possible... before even coming to the bits my wife is interested in like finishes and furnishings.

I've joined to forum to pilfer whatever advice I can, either from asking in new threads or combing through existing.

Cheers!

- Rich

IMG_20220422_185936_998.jpg

What a lovely old house. The Haynes manual for period house renovation might be helpful. Modern houses focus on airtight but you might need to be mindful of breathability. Can you keep those lovely window frames and make some good secondary glazing? All the best.

Welcome, I concur, a lovely house and wonderful windows, with the exponential rise in energy costs insulation must be a priority along with draught proofing (way before finishes etc ) looking forward to your questions, we have all been there so lots of knowledge available.

welcome. As an Estimator you have the analytical skills, and the ability to see past the obvious to the underlying work required, but also to look at the opportunities.

As said above, get to know your own house, but read and ask to find out the structure and challenges.

And we are here for what we can help with.

Have you looked up old maps to find when it was built and any background? Is it a big enough and posh enough to have a maid's area at the back?

Welcome.

Looks similar to my old place in Aylesbury.

Is that mould growing around the downpipe above the porch?  If it is, get that sorted tomorrow.

If reroofing, and the orientation is suitable, roof integrated PV is worth looking at.  Not as if you see the roof from the ground. 

Chimney may be a problem, but they usually are.  Consider what you want to do with it.

Insulation will almost certainly be internal, so that is the time to sort out the airtightness around joists.  Or the problematic area as it is known.  Heat loss, condensation and external water ingress do not sit well together in older buildings.  Ask 10 people on here and you will get at least 20 answers.

Good luck with living with the dust.