Flatroof Leaking

Perplexed

Flat Roof https://imgur.com/gallery/JZ7F2xC

Just looking for an opinion from experienced people please. This is my roof and the roof next door has the upstand. It appears to be unsealed after a roof replacement was completed. Is this correct ( leaving the join unsealed) because I am getting huge amounts of water into my bedroom and it seems to be coming in through the gap.

I am suspicious because it seems like a major omission for a builder to make.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG-20220503-WA0004.jpg

Edited by Perplexed
Added picture

your roof is the nearest with what covering? and the roll of felt is?

normally felt is taken up the upstand and if the covering from next door is down over it, it shouldn't leak. the only issue would be from splashing but that wouldn't account for 'huge amounts of water' getting in. has this happened since roof re-done next door? as your roof looks as though its come to the end of its life at the upstand.

if only leaking since next doors roof work i would asking them for contribution. don't ask, don't get.

It has started after they did the work. I have a surveyor that has said that there should be felt or material up and onto the upstand to seal the gap. This has now been done by me. The roll of felt is material as I had my roof redone. These pics were taken at the time and I am awaiting a surveyors report. Here are a few more pics at the join between the two roofs. I am just curious as to who is right as I am being told it is a failure to seal the join that has caused the issue. I accept my roof was old and have since replaced it over this issue. The surveyor has provided the diagram shown stating that the join allows ingress. As I don't understand how these are done I just wanted to try and make sense of it.

Thanks in Advance.

IMG-20220505-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220503-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220503-WA0012.jpg

Water has a habit of finding any weakness. It's essential both the design and the implementation is done right. The idea of the upstand is to raise the edge/join above any possible standing water level. The corner batten is to eliminate the sharp 90 degree bend which can cause cracking.

Ideally there wouldn't be another join in the waterproof layer near the upstand. A full width strip of felt would be used so there is a wide overlap joint further away from the upstand. Did the neighbour replace the whole upstand and just fit a strip to try and reseal your side? 

30 minutes ago, Perplexed said:

I have a surveyor that has said that there should be felt or material up and onto the upstand to seal the gap. This has now been done by me. The roll of felt is material as I had my roof redone.

This is confusing. So the photos show it before you did your side? Can we see pictures of what it looks like now? Is it still leaking?

Edited by Temp

I do not have after photos and yes these are the photos before any work was done to my side but several years after his builder did the job. There doesn't seem to be any strip of any material to seal my side. To me it looks like the neighbour did nothing to seal in the join as I don't see any new felt or material anywhere just the new upstand. As I understand it the builder acting for me basically torched felt onto the upstand and down onto my roof to seal the gap that is showing in the pictures. I am being told that there was nothing to stop water going straight into that gap and then into my ceiling space. I am just baffled as to why a roofing company would make this sort of error if it is true.

It is watertight now it seems but I am waiting for it to rain....I still am uncertain about what I am looking at to be fair. I would have expected to see some new felt on my side where they have ensured the job is watertight. But that's why I'm here I'm hoping someone can clarify for me.

Ok thats clearer.

It's pretty hard to tell what went on to be honest. It's possible the neighbours builder was faced with trying to join onto your roof when it was in poor condition. Ideally he would have come knocked on your door to advise getting your roof done at the same time. Gluing new onto old in poor condition isn't a great idea. Perhaps that area had already been patched up a few times rather than the whole lot being redone.

Hopefully the new work you had done will have sorted the issue.

Thanks for the help. No one even advised me any work was being done. As far as I can tell building regs were not followed and it was left without any attempt to seal it. First I knew of any issue was when I started to take on water. I will have to see what the surveyor says I guess.