Who is responsible?

Mike_scotland

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Then he is responsible.

Get him to sort it, one way or another.

Yeah, im going down the neighbor route first and if there having none of it then it falls back with the builder, im paying nothing towards this lol, i asked him about it last week and he says its a blockage further up the line backfilling into the chamber and now leaking out the top, the neighbor does have alot of trees and shrubbery along his boundary the same boundary the pipe runs along so its sort of inevitable its going to be blocked some how with roots.

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

If the pipe is the property of the sewage company does that mean no easements are needed? 

Would not all the properties without connection running into the public highway sewer not need easements across all the properties. SO the left most property above will need 4 easements, the next 3 and so on?

Indeed. I suspect this is one reason the government changed the rules in Engkand to make shared drains the responsibility of the water co. Prior to that I'm sure lot of people had issues.

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Indeed. I suspect this is one reason the government changed the rules in Engkand to make shared drains the responsibility of the water co. Prior to that I'm sure lot of people had issues.

i stay in the middle of no where, well about 10 miles from nearest city, there is only 5 houses about here so no mains sewage

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Have you a link for your image - my neighbor has a similar issue, as @Mike_scotland, which by the looks of that diagram they don't if you get my drift.

Most water companies and ofwat have something similar on their websites now. The diagram I posted is several diagrams down this first one..

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/nonhouseholds/supply-and-standards/responsibility-supply-pipes/

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/waste-water/looking-after-your-sewers/sewer-pipe-responsibility/

Edited by Temp

4 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

i stay in the middle of no where, well about 10 miles from nearest city, there is only 5 houses about here so no mains sewage

Village near us was on a combination of private and communal tanks until a few years back Then I think the government or water co had some kind of "first connection" service running. This involved building a small treatment (collection?) plant on the outskirts and hooking everyone up to that instead. Not sure how many houses a village must have before it could get on such a scheme. 

11 minutes ago, Temp said:

Village near us was on a combination of private and communal tanks until a few years back Then I think the government or water co had some kind of "first connection" service running. This involved building a small treatment (collection?) plant on the outskirts and hooking everyone up to that instead. Not sure how many houses a village must have before it could get on such a scheme. 

I dont actually know where the neighboring pipework goes, i just know i wasnt aloud to pipe into it and  i have to get a sewage treatment plant and soakway

1 hour ago, Mike_scotland said:

Which makes me ask the unanswered question again.  Is this raw sewage leading to a communal treatment plant?  Or treated effluent from multiple individual treatment units going toa communal soakaway or into a watercourse?

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Which makes me ask the unanswered question again.  Is this raw sewage leading to a communal treatment plant?  Or treated effluent from multiple individual treatment units going toa communal soakaway or into a watercourse?

no idea Dave. im not connecting to it. i assume its a soakway further down the road as the land here was pretty pish for water soaking away hence why i needed a soakway mound thing. 

so my best guess would be the septic tanks from all the houses around me (not mine though) all somehow are into this pipework line and go down the road somewhere into either a burn or maybe just the land as a soakway

so i vaguely remembered a objection when we originally looked at the planning permission and here it is!! the pipework has previous!

image.thumb.png.0ea4c4845e81ef50c0d14c58abde3434.png

So it's the outlet from their septic tanks and may go to a soakaway, or leech field. Given what they say they are probably going to blame you.

I don't suppose you still have a digger available. Would be tempting to get a working party together to fix it properly for the brownie points.

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

So it's the outlet from their septic tanks and may go to a soakaway, or leech field. Given what they say they are probably going to blame you.

I don't suppose you still have a digger available. Would be tempting to get a working party together to fix it properly for the brownie points.

itll go for miles i assume m8, and even then its through some pretty rough looking trees etc, we have replaced our part so i dont see how we are responsible, i had a look back and the planning conditions were we to concreted it in on the driveway which we did and the builder just went and replaced the lot as he was saying its easier as the line was pretty old and knackered. 

3 hours ago, Mike_scotland said:

my builder changed it out himself without even consulting us, we were told we had to replace and concrete the driveway in anyway so he just done the lot and put in a inspection chamber. it cant be us who have damaged it if its brand new pipework and our part isnt blocked, its further down, well wait for the neighbors response anyway.

Would the IC let you rod down the line then?

itll go for miles i assume m8, and even then its through some pretty rough looking trees etc, we have replaced our part so i dont see how we are responsible, i had a look back and the planning conditions were we to concreted it in on the driveway which we did and the builder just went and replaced the lot as he was saying its easier as the line was pretty old and knackered. 

I agree its not your problem but sometimes shared problems become opportunities.